One of spring’s biggest fashion trends this year is a pleated skirt. Now, I realize that pleated skirts can seem intimidating to wear, as well as a little too preppy, professional, and maybe even old-fashioned. I get it! Knife pleats (the tiny, sharp pleats you usually see on midi skirts) are also difficult to take care of and have a very *~*high fashion*~* quality to them. Even larger pleats can seem difficult to wear because they can easily look very dressed up or mature… and that’s not always the look you’re going for.
The thing is, though, there are actually tons of ways to wear pleated skirts, and most of these are really fun and cool outfit ideas instead of something that will remind you of your grandma. Don’t believe me? I found a whole bunch of real-life outfits worn by fashion bloggers and Instagram models alike that feature pleated skirts in the best way possible. Once you find the pleated skirt that is best for you – whether it’s tiny pleats or larger ones, a midi length or a more mini length, a bright color or something more classic – you can do a lot with it that will make you look amazing and extremely cool and fashion forward. Or, you know, just capable of dressing yourself in the AM with little to no effort (the ultimate goal). Here are 20 style tips on how to wear a pleated skirt this spring:
1. A knife pleat midi skirt can easily look really dressed up. Hit a happy medium between fancy and casual by adding a plain tee, a statement necklace, heels, and a fun bag.
2. Or if it’s still cold outside (like it is in New York right now), wear your midi skirt with a tucked in sweater and a thin belt to keep the look from being very bulky.
3. Is this look just a little too feminine for you? Add a cropped and fitted leather jacket to bring a little toughness into the look. Ankle boots and a bun keep the look casual but cool.
4. Pleated maxi skirts are so pretty, but can very much be a big Look. Keep yours simple and casual with a loose tank and flat sandals.
5. But maybe you want to look professional and mature! In that case, wear your pleated skirt with a fitted blazer and a pair of heels. This would work with a midi or a mini length.
6. If it’s too cold to keep your legs bare, simply add a pair of tights. This look with patterned tights, a Peter Pan collar, and Oxford shoes is unexpected and a little vintage.
7. You can also stay cozy with some layers. This pleated midi skirt looks great with a turtleneck and a cardigan. The key for keeping this look streamlined is to tuck the shirt in and pick a cardigan that is slim and on the shorter side.
8. A short black pleated skirt is a great going out outfit, but it can also be dressed down for daytime. Do this with a chambray shirt, a utility jacket, and simple flats.
9. A white pleated midi skirt like this one can easily look too fancy or mature. I love how this girl keeps it fresh and fun: all you need is a plain tee, a denim vest, sandals, and a few touches of jewelry.
10. To look more professional and put together, button up a chambray shirt (or any button down), tuck it into your pleated skirt, add a statement necklace, and you’re good to go. The denim keeps this more casual, while everything else makes it great for work.
11. Don’t be afraid to wear a bright, patterned pleated skirt! It’s a really fun statement piece. Wear it with simple accessories and a solid colored shirt and shoes.
12. I’m way too into this look. Your pleated skirt doesn’t have to be worn with dainty shoes – worn with ankle boots, it automatically looks cooler. Add a graphic tee, a scarf, and a leather jacket, and this look is perfect for early spring.
13. Or just keep it simple and slightly more feminine with a neutral sweater and fun mid-calf boots.
14. And, of course, don’t forget about the crop top. A simple crop top nicely balances out a pleated midi skirt.
15. Combine two trends in one and wear your pleated skirt with a pair of lace-up heels for something ultra-feminine and pretty. Bonus points if you get a skirt in this bold color.
16. A casual look that works for anything is a midi skirt with a denim jacket, a striped shirt, and kitten heels. So cute!
17. Keep your pleated maxi skirt boho with a simple tank top, a floppy hat, and flat sandals. This look is comfy and perfect for a warm day.
18. Pull the ultimate cool-girl fashion move and wear your fancy pleated skirt with a pair of running sneakers.
19. It doesn’t get much more unique than a metallic colored pleated midi skirt. Balance out this look with a comfy knit sweater and white sneakers. This is very streetwear chic.
20. Lastly, you can never go wrong with Parisian chic. Add a striped shirt and ballet flats, and grab a bouquet of flowers just for the Instagram pic.
Which of these outfit ideas is your favorite? How do you wear a pleated skirt? Let me know in the comments.