Between Pinterest, the popularity of beauty bloggers, and the amount of makeup apps out there that can make one look flawless in seconds, it’s easy to forget how many makeup beginners there are. For every girl who can post an Instagram video of herself applying a gorgeous cat-eye in mere seconds, there are 10 girls out there who are struggling to even apply just a straight line of regular eyeliner. Hey, I’m not judging! Eyeliner is tough for beginners, and can be seriously intimidating. It took me a long time to get into my *eyeliner grove* and I made a lot of mistakes along the way.
If you’re just starting to use makeup or you just seriously struggle with eyeliner, you’re not alone – and you definitely shouldn’t be embarrassed to ask for help. It can be frustrating to look for “eyeliner tutorials” on Pinterest and see all of these elaborate ideas that look great, but are too difficult for you to even begin to understand. That’s why I compiled a list of the best eyeliner tips and tricks out there. These will tips will help you figure out what the heck you’re doing, as well as make some techniques seem just a little bit easier. Remember: makeup is all about experimentation and finding what works for you, so don’t be impatient! Practice makes perfect, as they say, and this couldn’t be more true when it comes to eye makeup. Here are 18 tips for girls who don’t know how to use eyeliner:
1. First, know there are several different types of eyeliner, and they each do different things.
2. Here’s what each type of eyeliner does based on what it’s best for:
3. Different colors work for different things. Here’s how to know which shade you should pick:
4. Feel free to do whatever kind of eyeliner you want, but here’s a guide on which look goes best with certain eye shapes:
5. Here’s how to do four fast looks, from classic and super easy to something more fun.
6. Still feeling confused? Check out this liner vocab sheet so you know everything:
7. Tightlining is an essential skill to know when it comes to eyeliner. It looks the most natural and is easy to pick up.
8. See the difference between no tightline and a tightline? Yup.
9. Made a mistake? Get yourself some cotton swabs, dip them in makeup remover, and easily clean up the line.
10. You can also clean up with concealer if you don’t want to disturb the rest of your eye makeup.
11. Here are some basic dos and don’ts to keep in mind:
12. Put eye shadow over your liner to make it last smudge-free all day.
13. Curl your eyelashes before you apply eyeliner. The curler can smudge your line a lot.
14. Ready to try something more advanced? JK. This is the easiest way to create a cateye.
15. Or just a cute little wing:
16. You can also use the dot method as demonstrated in this gif:
17. Make your own eyeliner by mixing a wet brush with eye shadow.
18. Still feeling confused about liquid liner? This tutorial should help.
Which of these tips did you find the most helpful? What did we forget to include? Let us know in the comments.