If you’ve been on the Internet at any point over the last few days, you’re bound to have heard those words, screeched out in the unmistakable voice-cracking timbre of a nascent adolescent boy as he roasts his friend (who, presumably, is named Daniel), for his timeless, if predictable, choice in footwear. If you haven’t seen the original video, you can check it out here:
Damn Daniel pic.twitter.com/Va10hmpePO
— josh (@josholzz) February 16, 2016
Damn, Daniel, indeed. Teen boys are so funny! And so mean! This is why I was T E R R I F I E D of them when I was in high school–one time, my crush asked me what I’d get as a tattoo if I were ever to get one and I panicked and said “a potato”–but that is a story for another day.
In any case, the video was only posted a few days ago, but since then, it’s flourished into quite the meme, with people posting “Damn Daniel” imitation videos, starter packs, and even the odd tribute song. It’s basically a mix of Alex from Target (remember him?) and “what are those?” in that it’s objectively silly and meaningless, but still oddly intoxicating. Even after you close out of the video, the words “Damn, Daniel. Daaaaaamnnn,” seem to reverberate on a loop in your head–like Vine, but IRL–making its meme-ification feel wholly inevitable. Which, as you are about to see, it was. Check out the best examples of the “Damn, Daniel” meme here:
1. You’ve got the starter pack, of course:
damn daniel starter pack pic.twitter.com/1g4L3y2wDR
— Four Pins (@Four_Pins) February 17, 2016
2. The imitation video:
— I hand out Ls (@Gnarlyjohnnyboy) February 17, 2016
3. And a song tribute, that MTV called “not half bad (and not half good, either):”
4. It’s entered our popular joke vernacular:
DAMN DANIEL BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THOSE WHITE VANS
— Sarah Siddiqui (@sarahns1801) February 19, 2016
5. Many children of today will go on record as having “Damn Daniel” as their first words:
dad: "come on u can do it"
baby: " d…da…damn daniel"
dad: "BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE WHITE VANS"
— ur dad (@fieriwap) February 17, 2016
6. Though for other people, it will be their last (worth it, tbh):
Doctor: I'm sorry he didn't make it
Women: What were his last words
Doctor: Damn….. Daniel?
Women: Back at it again with the white vans
— Garren (@GarrenMorris) February 19, 2016
7. And, uh, some weird interpretations of sexual kinks:
me: call me daddy
me: say it
girl: d…d..da…DAMN DANIEL back at it again with the white vans
— Walrus (@mannk72) February 19, 2016
8. It’s okay if “Damn Daniel” is the only thing on your mind:
Someone: ur really shy
Me: i guess so
Me in my head: dAMN DANIEL DAMN DANIEL BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE WHITE VANS DAMN DANIEL DAMN DANIEL BA
— madisus christ™ (@DAMNDANlEL) February 19, 2016
9. It’s not like you’re the only one with this problem, anyway:
— chey (@cheeyennnne) February 18, 2016
10. The celebrity comparisons have been quick:
DAMN DANIEL BACK AT IT AGAIN WITH THE WHITE VANS pic.twitter.com/eV79Kjczrw
— ashley (@bieberftgrande) February 19, 2016
11. And fierce:
Back at it again with the white vans pic.twitter.com/1dXvHBZVa0
— ️ (@rudetwink) February 19, 2016
12. And merciless:
3. sick white vans
5. back at it again
6. stussy man pic.twitter.com/0ljQGkKKIb
— Totally Chadical (@itschad_dominic) February 18, 2016
13. Anything is fair game, honestly:
— Cameron Nolley (@cameronolley) February 18, 2016
14. Don’t worry–corporations have caught onto the meme, too:
— Clorox (@Clorox) February 18, 2016
15. It’s quickly become the ultimate pickup line:
Is ur name Daniel? Bc damn.
— shilo (@PartyWithShilo) February 18, 2016
16. Damn Daniel + friend = #RelationshipGoals, tbh:
Show me off like the "damn Daniel" kid.
— b (@___breezee) February 18, 2016
17. Here;s the real question, though–how long do you think it’ll be until he has his own line of Vans?
the DAMN DANIEL 11's pic.twitter.com/tOXa0vBnJs
— FERINA (@_chrismex_) February 19, 2016
What do you think about the “Damn, Daniel” meme? Which of these examples was your fave? Let us know in the comments!