9 Things That Will Totally Change How You Define The Word Slut

I think that the word “slut” should be banned from the English language. Why? Well, because slut is one of the most dangerous and offensive words that people misuse and love to abuse. Or rather, it simply encourages slut-shaming. For one, it’s used to describe women who enjoy being sexually active, it’s used constantly by creeps who try (and fail) to get women’s attention on the streets, and worst of all, it’s loosely used as a degrading insult to women who choose to dress a certain way (because of course, low-cut tops and short skirts automatically make you a slut).

Easy-A-quotes

Now, as much as I hate the word “slut,” I’ll admit that in the past I’ve judged other people because of how they dressed and how often they’ve had sex. They’re not moments that I’m particularly proud of, because I was being pretty narrow-minded and judgmental. But I soon realized that I shouldn’t expect people to share my personal beliefs about sex, and it’s never anyone’s business or place to judge another person’s decisions when it comes to their lifestyle. So now, whenever I see or hear other people refer to ladies as “sluts,” it tells me that they’re either being intentionally rude, or they just don’t understand how hurtful and offensive that word really is.

On our boards this week, I discovered this really interesting post about a young girl who had a lot of sexual partners in the past. She wanted to know, does this make her a slut? And furthermore, what does being a slut even mean?

See what our readers had to say about using the word slut and what it really means to them:

Summerchica734 said:

A slut is someone, in my opinion, who sleeps with someone to intentionally hurt someone else (a friend, a significant other, etc). You are NOT a slut for safely sleeping with a lot of people, as long as you're not hurting anyone. Also, if you're doing it because you're depressed or insecure it's not the best idea. Otherwise, you're perfectly fine and people shouldn't be judging you. Sex means different things for different people.

Image source: iStock

Sashurs said:

I don't believe in the term 'slut', I think it was created to make women feel less empowered in and in-control of their sexual desires. So long as you're protecting yourself, then it's nobody’s business to judge your sex life. The only time it is anyone’s business is if you're having sex, not getting checked or getting checked and knowingly passing around STIs. If you sleep with 20 guys or sleep with the same guy 20 times there's still the risk of STIs and pregnancy.

Image source: iStock

SweetSahara said:

I wouldn't judge a person based on who they slept with and wouldn't call them a slut, that's really hurtful and it's their choice who they want to sleep with.

Image source: iStock

Jasminex14 said:

Your sex life is your sex life. You can have sex with as many people as you want. It's your body, therefore, it is your choice! With that in mind, I never use the word "slut" to describe girls. A girl can do whatever she wants with her body, just as long as she is being safe about it. And even if she isn't being safe, that is her body, and her choice, so I have no reason to judge her.

Image source: iStock

Ayeayeaye said:

I think it's wrong to call anyone a slut or to pass judgement on how many people someone has had sex with. As long as they're old enough and are consenting and safe it shouldn't matter, there's nothing that is too high or too low because it depends on your own personality. It's wrong to shame people for having sex, if you want to know how to articulate to your friends why it's a problem, look up articles on why slut-shaming is bad.

Image source: iStock

Scarletbegonia said:

NEVER be ashamed of your sexuality. Your number is a personal thing that you don't have to share with anyone. Don't let anyone judge you like that. If you are always safe, make sure it stays that way! I don't see any harm in having casual relationships, but you have to be honest with yourself, as well. If you’re having sex goes along with depression, or shame, or any other negative feelings, than I would rethink how to relieve your stress. Other than that, have fun and be young!!

Image source: iStock

Bellanotte said:

A slut in my mind is a prostitute, a girl who has done it with 50+ men at a young age, or a girl who is sexual with every man she sees, flirts, or touches. And that has to be every guy.

Image source: iStock

Abbiekat said:

Why do people want to hurt each other so much? Slut is a word to hurt someone, THAT'S WHAT IT MEANS!! It means the person who uses it WANTS to hurt the other person because they have hate in their heart. It is bulling and pathetic and it’s what cowards do. It does not describe the person you use the word on but the person who uses the word.

Image source: iStock

Flamingoccm said:

As far as "slut" goes, it's not a term I particularly like. If you're being safe, I'm not sure what there is to complain about.

Image source: iStock

What does the word slut actually mean to you? Do you think it’s a word that people should use? Why, or why not? Tell us in the comments below!

You can follow the author, Nakeisha Campbell, on Twitter and Instagram.

10 Things You Say That You Didn’t Realize Are Actually Slut Shaming

Follow Gurl, Pretty Please!
FacebookTwitterTumblrPinterest, and Instagram

Posted in: Beliefs
Tags: , ,
  • Hannah

To the person who says that a slut is a prostitute and is sexual with every guys she meets as long as it’s safe and consensual it’s none of your business. If a guy was sexual with every girl her meets you wouldn’t call him a slut. In fact he’s get praised and get called a stud.