Even though it’s 2016 and we’ve come a long way, it can still be hard for LGBTQ people to express themselves in a relatable way. Luckily, there is the Internet, and all of the clever people that do things for the Internet. When it comes to being a girl who likes girls, lesbian webcomics are a great way to show what it means to be a lesbian in a way people can really understand. They’re easy to read, cute, and funny. Artists are using their skills to educate others and make the world a more equal place. Yay! It may seem trite and insensitive, but it’s not – often when we try to express ourselves through angry diatribes, we make people defensive and unreceptive to what we have to say. I love the idea that comics can be a loving way to express thoughts/feelings/concerns.
I am straight, but I am close with a lot of lesbians, and they have some common gripes about the way they’re treated that they’ve told me about. It’s easy to be sexualized by men when you’re a lesbian (not cool). Others talk about the struggle with coming out to their parents, being comfortable in their fashion sense, and not knowing if the girl they like is a lesbian. These are problems that straight people rarely think about! Reading these comics help create empathy and open a path of communication. HEARTS AND RAINBOWS FOR EVERYONE!
If you wonder what it feels like to be a lesbian or want to relate to other lesbians, check out these webcomics by some talented artists:
1. It can be difficult to know if you’re on the same page with the person you like.
2. It’s sad that this can’t be reality:
3. Realizing you’re a lesbian is not as complicated as you think.
4. …But you can still mess with people when they ask about it.
5. No one like to be labeled.
6. A lesbian relationship is like any other relationship.
7. Parents rarely get it.
8. You just need a lady for the job!
9. It can feel like you’re alone.
10. People say dumb things.
11. There’s nothing worse than being the only one at a party.
12. GIRLS ARE HARD.
13. You have to find people you can be yourself with.
14. There aren’t many stories geared towards you.
15. You love seeing lesbian characters on TV and movies.
16. Inside jokes!
17. The struggle is real.
18. It’s harder than people know.
19. Birds of a feather.
20. People can be the worst.
21. You know you have to just be who you are.
Do you feel like these comics capture what it’s like to be a lesbian? Let us know in the comments below!