It sucks that it’s 2016 and we’re still talking about how prevalent sexism is in our society. We, as humans, have clearly come a long way – a woman is even going to be running for president this year, which is an amazing step forward. But just because we’ve had some major wins doesn’t mean we haven’t also had some major disappointments. The fact that victim blaming, slut shaming, and unfair gender stereotypes still exist blows my mind. Thinking about the Republican politicians who try to take away a woman’s choice regarding abortion and birth control makes me furious. Reading meninist tweets online makes me want to scream.
It’s naive and ignorant to act like sexism isn’t still all around us. It can be hard to think about it, because it’s heavy and upsetting. That’s why I love the below Tumblr posts about sexism. Users have managed to explain the struggles of being a woman in a way that is relatable, easy to understand, and even funny (in a I’m-laughing-so-I-don’t-cry type of way). It’s such an easier way to look at sexism, especially if you don’t want to confront it head on. Ready to get a better understanding of what still needs to change for us women? Here are 58 Tumblr posts that perfectly describe sexism:
1. The ultimate struggle:
2. Because sometimes men act like they can’t help themselves, when we know that isn’t true:
3. When Cecily Strong said this, and you were like, “YASS QUEEN.”
4. Here’s a note for every guy who thinks they deserve sex because they were decent enough to be a nice human being:
5. When guys get mad about women putting them in a box and it’s laughable because a lot of them say this stuff all the time:
6. When girls say this and it makes you want to scream:
7. Because we’ve all had enough of this double standard:
8. The next time a guy doesn’t listen to your “no,” remember this and feel sad.
9. This excuse has got to go. Seriously, get out.
10. The real reason the world needs meninism:
11. That moment you realize Ariana Grande is actually a feminist you should look up to, despite the fact that she licks donuts.
12. Because this is the truth:
13. Because this is also incredibly true:
14. This is the real reason women put an effort into their appearance:
15. Because it’s so important for women to know they don’t need a relationship to be happy.
16. Because this is kind of infuriating.
17. When female celebrities get sexually harassed during interviews and we’re supposed to just laugh it off:
18. Here are the real reasons we go to the bathroom in packs:
19. Many people seem to be confused about what feminism is. This describes it pretty well:
20. Because too many men assume women should be nice and gracious all the time when they don’t extend the same courtesy.
21. When boys get confused and we have to set them straight:
22. Because slut-shaming is still way too common.
23. When you realize this:
24. Imagine this future.
25. This description is literally everything:
26. Let’s not forget the double standard here: women, if you wouldn’t want a dude to say it to you, don’t say it to a dude.
27. Disney princes and princesses get a lot of criticism thrown their way, but this might change the way you see the films:
28. When you think about the fact that Fox News still exists and you want to scream.
29. Because there is a big difference between needing and wanting.
30. Because too many guys don’t understand the difference between compliments and cat calling.
31. If only lolz
32. Because it doesn’t matter how nice you are – a woman can still say she isn’t interested.
33. When you have to set someone straight:
34. And men should be doing it too.
35. This is important because too often, we sexualize something about a woman to make it acceptable, and why do we have to do that?
36. Because sometimes you need a good quote to feel awesome:
37. This literally makes no sense, but hey, logic, right?
38. When TV shows try to go against gender stereotypes and it makes you clap.
40. Exactly this.
41. It’s important to remember that men suffer from gender stereotypes too:
42. Because every point here is so perfect:
43. At least some guys get it.
44. This Barbie commercial is so good:
45. What you think basically every day:
46. Because if I personally hear this one more time I will scream:
47. When you’re about to give up on pageants and then something this flawless happens.
48. When you consider the fact that men take rejection and turn it into hate:
49. Because who cares?
50. A valid question.
51. Also a valid point.
52. Same TBH
53. This is just… what?
54. Slay girls, slay!
55. This might be fake, but it could definitely be real:
56. You don’t have to like every woman out there, but you don’t have to bring them down either:
57. No one believed in her because of unfair gender stereotypes:
58. This has to stop.
Which one of these Tumblr posts about sexism makes you the most angry? What did we forget to include? Let me know in the comments.