The word “depressed” is thrown around so much that I sometimes feel as if it’s lost all meaning. Most people seem to believe that “depressed” is synonymous with “sad.” They say things like, “My TV show ended. I’m so depressed.” or “Ugh, school is so depressing.” And sure, these can both be valid reasons for depression, but most of the time, they aren’t. While it seems like it’s no big deal to throw around the word casually, it actually is – it contributes to the many myths and unfair thoughts about depression that are out there.
Depression is a disease. It’s not just feeling sad. It’s not just feeling lonely. There is no quick fix for depression – it’s something you have to work at fixing. You can want to stop feeling depressed so badly, and you can try so hard, and you can still fail at it. Real depression is a chemical imbalance that for some people can only be treated with medication. Some people feel depressed over something specific, and after working hard at trying to feel better, they can feel better. Others always feel it there in the back of their mind.
It’s such a misunderstood feeling, and that can lead to a lot of frustration when you’re the one feeling depressed. When I was in high school, I went through a period of time when I felt very depressed. It wasn’t just sadness or loneliness. I remember sitting in my room, feeling a permanent cloud over my head. It felt like I was suffocating, like I couldn’t get out from under it. It scared me. Friends and family members would say things like, “Just go outside and do things!” or “Smile more!” or “Just think positively!” It wasn’t that simple.
Depression can make you feel very alone, but you’re not. These Tumblr posts describe what depression actually feels like, no judgment attached, and will make you feel like you’re not doing something wrong. Here are 21 Tumblr posts that explain what depression really feels like:
1. Depression be so contradictory. Most people don’t realize that you want to do something, you just feel like you can’t.
2. It’s not always about just feeling “sad.”
3. You know that depression isn’t something to joke about. At all.
4. You get frustrated when people say they’re depressed just to seem “different,” and they don’t actually understand the struggle:
5. Just because someone isn’t crying or looking sad doesn’t mean they don’t experience depression:
6. There are a lot of unfair myths about depression out there:
7. There are so many different symptoms:
8. Feeling depressed does not mean LOOKING depressed. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
9. You know that anxiety and depression go hand-in-hand sometimes.
10. You have to restrain yourself when someone says “stop being depressed” like it’s easy:
11. You know that this kind of anxious feeling often goes along with being depressed.
12. The fact that you can relate to this probably both comforts and saddens you:
13. When you’re stressed and anxious about basically everything:
14. You hate being told to do something that makes you happy when you’re depressed, because this is what it’s like:
15. This comic accurately describes your life:
16. You don’t love sharing your super personal stories with people:
17. Feeling depressed over the past happens too often.
18. When you hate to ask for help:
19. This is something you think often:
20. This is something you try to remember:
21. Your brain feels like this:
Which of these posts can you relate to? Do you ever feel depressed? What did we forget to include?