Unless you live in New York, where it has been unseasonably warm this year, you’ve probably stocked up on sweaters for the winter weather. While knit sweaters are cozy and adorable, they don’t always look super stylish. I’m 5’0 with curves, and I can tell you that, more often than not, knit sweaters end up looking bulky and weird on me. Fortunately, there are lots of other ways you can wear this winter essential besides just throwing it on with jeans (you can obviously do that too).
Want to bring your favorite warm sweater to a new level? You definitely can! The below outfit ideas should serve as your style inspiration for making your knit sweaters look chic and fashionable, rather than just big mom sweaters (you know the look I’m talking about). Here are 20 style tips on how to wear knit sweaters this winter that will also take you through the beginning of spring and even the fall.
1. Stay extra cozy by layering a knit cardigan over your knit sweater.
2. Keep it simple – sometimes a knit sweater looks best with just skinny jeans and over-the-knee boots.
3. Want a sleek look? Try pairing a knit sweater with a delicate skirt or dress, then belting it to show off your waistline:
4. Make even a baggy sweater look sexy by letting a lacy bralette peek out.
5. If you’re going for something more chic and glam, try pairing a knit sweater with leather pants or black skinny jeans with gold detailing.
6. Keep it simple and classic: add a plaid scarf, brown boots and some gold bracelets.
7. Make jeans and a sweater look so much cooler by adding an unexpected item, like metallic heels.
8. Layer your sweater over a button-down shirt, letting it peek out at the collar and underneath, for a preppy vibe.
9. For an even preppier look, you can put your knit sweater over a plaid shirt.
10. Add studded boots and a long necklace to give your sweater a little boho flair.
11. Tuck your sweater into a skirt to make it a little dressed up. Add tights if it’s cold out.
12. Balance out a giant sweater by wearing it with skinny, delicate heels.
13. You can even make an oversized sweater look like a dress and wear it with tights and boots.
14. Stay comfy with your knit sweater, skinny jeans, and sneakers.
15. Feel like your sweater is too bulky? Try a front tuck to keep it more streamlined.
16. Make a summer dress work for winter by wearing an oversized sweater over it.
17. Wear a lace shirt or tank under your knit sweater so that it peeks out and looks adorable.
18. Add lots of statement necklaces to keep your sweater looking glam.
19. Layer with a vest for added warmth – and it pulls any outfit together.
20. Wear your knit sweater with ankle boots for an easy, chic look.
Which of these outfit ideas is your favorite? What did we forget to include? How do you wear knit sweaters? Let me know in the comments.