I know that we talk a lot about how our society’s effed up gender expectations affect girls, and that’s important because, uh, they do. From slut shaming to rules about body hair, girls are under a ton of pressure to conform to rigid unwritten rules and regulations about how to be a girl. But these same sexist expectations affect guys, too. One of the most obvious ways that we’re exposed to from an early age is the idea that boys don’t cry.
Oh, and if they do cry, they’re wimpy, gay, etc. WTF?
Dudes have emotions just like everyone else, girls are just socialized to express them in more overt ways. It’s not like guys don’t ever feel like crying, they just grow up with this idea that it’s not manly and makes them weak. That’s probably why so many dudes are totally emotionally inept and end up expressing their sadness in more violent and destructive ways. I personally like when boys cry, it shows that they can be vulnerable just like everyone else!
It’s shameful that women buy into the idea that guys aren’t supposed to cry, too. I can’t even count how many times I’ve seen little boys chided for crying because “that’s not what men do.” Gross. Unfortunately, there are still people out there who buy into these ridiculous, gendered ideas about dudes and their tear ducts. A lot of them use Yahoo Answers to expose the rest of us to their ignorance. That’s where you can find 11 of the most ridiculous questions about boys who cry that people actually believe.
1. IS THIS FOR REAL? YES, CRY, PLEASE CRY. THE PATRIARCHY IS STRONG WITH THIS ONE.
2. Sexuality has nothing to do with crying.
3. As opposed to…fake boys?
5. Um, yes.
6. What kind of question is this?
7. I just…
8. Congrats, you’re terrible and insensitive.
9. Have these people never even watched a movie or TV show before?
10. THEY CRY FOR THE SAME REASONS ANYONE ELSE DOES? THEY’RE JUST SOCIALIZED NOT TO AS OPENLY. THEY ARE, IN FACT, HUMAN BEINGS.
11. Get ready to freak out several times in your lifetime, boo.
Do you think that boys should feel like they can cry more freely? What do you think of dudes who aren’t afraid to cry? Tell us in the comments!