Asexuality (or non sexuality, as it is often called) is an often ignored segment of the population. Because of their lack of visibility, many people don’t understand what it is. Asexuality is the lack of sexual attraction to anyone, or low or absent interest in sexual activity. It is different than celibacy because that is a choice, whereas asexuality is sexual orientation. Asexual people form intimate relationships just like everyone else.
It can be difficult to explain asexuality to people who have never experienced it. The following artists used comics as a way to communicate the struggles of being an asexual person. This genre is great for education for many reasons. One, they’re easy to read. Two, they’re cute. And three, they are not intimidating!
Visit asexuality.org to learn more.
1. You get asked a lot of dumb questions.
3. You have a hard time explaining your sexuality to people.
4. They just don’t get it.
6. People can say really frustrating things…
7. And hurtful things.
8. Realizing that you’re asexual can be confusing.
9. It happens at different stages of everyone’s lives.
10. Metaphors are a great way to explain asexuality. Like this one about bacon!
11. Or this one about coffee!
12. Asexual people can still desire relationships.
13. This explains it!
14. Asexuality in biology is a totally different thing.
15. Being asexual can be an isolating experience.
16. You can feel out of place.
17. Sometimes joking about asexuality is healing.
18. It’s good to laugh.
19. Asexuals exist!
Are you or is any one you know asexual? Did you learn something about asexuality you didn’t know before? Let us know in the comments below!