If you’ve been using context clues–as in, reading pretty much any of our articles–you might be able to tell that, here at Gurl, we’re not super into body shaming.
You know what we do love, though? Celebrities who take the initiative to stand up to their body shamers. Yesterday, you probably saw that Ariana Grande and Ariel Winter responded to an Instagram comment that, in trying to defend Ariel Winter’s body type, basically just managed to body shame both of them. Their reactions were pretty perfect–but they aren’t the only celebrities who have stood up to their body shamers at one point or another. Here are the eleven times celebrities owned body shamers in the best possible ways–with poise, hilarity, and a ton of sass:
1. Starting it off with Ariana Grande because, like I said, it’s an awesome response:
here we go again…. Sure I'm not the only 1 feeling this way today!! in case you need a reminder, you're beautiful pic.twitter.com/OPQIgzroEI
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) November 2, 2015
2. Which was only made better when Ariel Winter responded, too:
— Ariel Winter (@arielwinter1) November 2, 2015
3. Another celebrity who recently made headlines for standing up against unrealistic body standards is Zendaya–after Modeliste Magazine published some super-retouched images from a photoshoot, Zendaya responded by posting the original images:
Had a new shoot come out today and was shocked when I found my 19 year old hips and torso quite manipulated. These are the things that make women self conscious, that create the unrealistic ideals of beauty that we have. Anyone who knows who I am knows I stand for honest and pure self love. So I took it upon myself to release the real pic (right side) and I love it Thank you @modelistemagazine for pulling down the images and fixing this retouch issue.
4. After Gigi Hadid posted a picture of her closing the Tommy Hilfiger show, she was faced with a flood of negative comments about her body. This was her response:
5. P!nk also did a good job of being like, “Hey, body shamers, this is even less about you than it is about me:”
— P!nk (@Pink) April 13, 2015
6. When Demi Lovato came out of rehab in 2011, she had gained some weight because she was, you know, recovering from an eating disorder, and some people took issue with that weight gain, I guess. Here was her response:
Guess what, I'm healthy and happy, and if you're hating on my weight you obviously aren't. 🙂 #UNBROKEN
— Demi Lovato (@ddlovato) August 29, 2011
7. Recently, the Daily Mail called Lena Dunham an “eyesore” after she wore this (awesome) jumpsuit, she decided to take matters into her own hands:
What the Daily Mail calls an eyesore I call a damn dream, @marahoffman This onesie takes me from @tracyandersonmethod to brunch to fetal position and I couldn't feel more heroic. Was literally psyched about the paparazzi photo so I would have evidence of it #thanksforthehelpcreepyguyintruckerhat #OnesieNation
8. A few months ago, when writer Jeff Wells posted a piece about Amy Schumer that was, in essence, dedicated to how much he doesn’t want to have sex with her (because she’s “chubby”), Schumer posted this in response:
I am a size 6 and have no plans of changing. This is it. Stay on or get off. Kisses! pic.twitter.com/6IsEfFOwAD
— Amy Schumer (@amyschumer) February 12, 2015
9. Lorde spoke up for her friend Taylor Swift with this swift-yet-sick burn when Diplo created a Kickstarter to “get Taylor Swift A Booty” (k?):
@diplo should we do something about your tiny penis while we're at it hm
— Lorde (@lordemusic) November 13, 2014
10. Mindy Kaling pretty much owned the people who call her “courageous” for simply existing as a woman on TV who is slightly larger than average on a Jimmy Kimmel appearance last year:
11. And, just to close this off on a strong note–who could forget this classic Gabourey Sidibe dis?
To people making mean comments about my GG pics, I mos def cried about it on that private jet on my way to my dream job last night. #JK
— Gabourey Sidibe (@GabbySidibe) January 13, 2014
What do you think of these reactions? Which one was your favorite? Let us know in the comments!