Just a few days ago, news got out that a Warwick University student named George Lawlor wrote an editorial about why he doesn’t need to take classes on consent. Apparently, when he noticed that he was invited to participate in these lessons on Facebook, he was pretty pissed. Here’s what he had to say:
“I found this to be a massive, painful, bitchy slap in the face. To be invited to such a waste of time was the biggest insult I’ve received in a good few years. It implies I have an insufficient understanding of what does and does not constitute consent and that’s incredibly hurtful.”
Now, as soon as I read this, I began to wonder if it was actually a satirical piece that was meant to get people talking about consent. But, to my dismay, after reading a few of his interviews, I realized that he was actually being serious.
He preaches that it’s insulting for people to assume that he has an “insufficient understanding of what does and does not constitute consent,” but this is exactly why the topic needs to be discussed. Assuming that you understand what consent is without bothering to educating yourself means that you are completely dismissing how body language, manipulation, coercion, and sobriety come into play. Regardless of what you know, or what you think you know about consent, you still need to educate yourself about what consensual sex actually entails.
Which is exactly why you need to check out these 20 Tumblr posts that will change the way you think of consent.
1. “No means no” actually describes what consent is not, but “YES means YES?” That’s consent.
2. This is what consent really looks like.
3. When it comes to sex, consent is not optional.
4. Consenting while you’re under the influence is not actually consent.
5. This is the true definition of consent.
6. Yes means yes. No means no.
7. Don’t assume that there’s consent in the present because there was consent in the past.
8. This comic will educate you on what consent really is.
9. Consent is a right.
10. What you wear does NOT equal sexual consent.
11. This is what consent is not.
12. These girls led an epic discussion on what consent means to them, and it’s spot on.
13. “No” actually means NO.
14. This video explains consent with serving tea, and it’s the most epic analogy ever.
15. You need to be sober to give consent.
16. Consent is only as complicated as we make it out to be.
17. Just because a person dresses attractively or looks cute, it doesn’t equal consent.
18. When it comes to sexual consent, coercion needs to be taken into account.
19. Don’t assume that “no” means “I’m playing hard to get. It means no.
20. This graphic points out a few words that are associated with the word consent. The bottom line? Consent is clear.
What are your thoughts on sexual consent? Which of these Tumblr posts was your favorite? Tell us in the comments below!