It’s undeniable that we as people spend a tremendous amount of money on our clothing. Whether you shop at Forever 21 or Bloomingdales, a good chunk of change goes into the process of getting dressed every single day. Unless we have as much money as Kim Kardashian, for most of us, this means that we want to keep the clothes we buy in good condition, especially our favorite items that we wear a lot. Unfortunately, this isn’t always that easy, and spills, stains, rips, and laundry mishaps are bound to happen at some point.
When your clothes get ruined, it might seem like you should just throw up your hands, give up, and throw them away for newer items. And while that might be the beset course of action for cheap items that can’t be saved, it’s not for your favorite clothes or items that can actually be fixed. Want to make your dirty clothes good as new without spending a ton of money at a dry cleaner? Here are 18 hacks and tricks for fixing and cleaning ruined clothes:
1. Did you shrink your favorite shirt by accident? Don’t get rid of it – try to un-shrink it first!
2. As you might already know, lipstick stains are not easily removed. Use rubbing alcohol to get rid of them.
3. Actually, all makeup is hard to take off clothes! Birchbox breaks down the best cleaning methods:
4. Here are a few household items that will clean up the most common types of stains:
5. Pesky grease stains? Try this DIY remover to make them go away for good:
6. You can also try using chalk on a grease stain.
7. Nothing is worse than getting your foundation on your white tees. In a pinch, shaving cream can make it disappear:
8. Leather is so hard to take care of. But lotion may make scratches go away.
9. Armpit sweat stains are the worst. Instead of throwing out a shirt because of them try this trick to remove them:
10. Use a mix of water and detergent to actually remove coffee stains.
11. Fix a loose button before it disappears using a little bit of nail polish.
12. The worst thing about hoodies is that sometimes the string gets messed up. Get it back in there with this trick:
13. Ink stains are so annoying, but this common purse item might get rid of them for good:
14. Use a maxi pad as a temporary solution to bra underwire poking through.
15. Sweaters are annoying when they’re full of fuzz. Get rid of the excess with a pumice stone.
16. This handy chart covers literally every question you might have:
17. Suede is a high-maintenance material. But this unexpected item might make it clean again:
18. Here are some other natural ways to get rid of sweat stains:
Which of these tips are your favorite? What did we forget to include? Tell us in the comments!