Lately, I’ve come to realize that there is no greater example of modern hubris than to believe, for whatever reason, that you “get” the internet.
You see, I thought that I understood the internet–I work in digital media, after all. I know a good meme when I see one. Then, I discovered Poot Lovato, and I realized that, in fact, I know nothing.
If you, too, are unfamiliar with Poot, that’s okay. She’s new. Also, she’s a meme. She got her start through a picture of Demi Lovato that was taken at a meet and greet, either by a fan or the paparazzi. The picture is unflattering, sure, but that’s not really what makes it noticeable–it’s more that her face is tilted back at an odd angle, her hair is pulled back in a way that makes her look bald, and the lighting washes out her face, so she just looks…not like herself. A Tumblr user saw the photo and decided that this just couldn’t be Demi, but was, instead, her estranged twin sister who had been locked in a basement for her entire life. Thus, Poot–a star, an icon–was born:
I don’t really recall how, exactly, I myself discovered Poot, but in the end it doesn’t matter. From the moment I saw her face, I knew my life would never be the same. There is a lengthy, in-depth exploration of Poot Lovato over at Fusion that tries to figure out not only who she is, but also what she means for you that you should check out. In the meantime, here is the…best? Worst? Most perplexing? of the Poot Lovato meme:
Poot Lovato is our favourite meme since Pepe the frog https://t.co/1h5kz8TMMn
— Amplify (@thisisamplify) October 19, 2015
3. Especially Wikipedia:
— spooky del (@smolcutie) October 19, 2015
4. We all have a favorite eyebrow. Now, we have something to call the reject:
Right eyebrow : work it gurl !! Left eyebrow : Poot Lovato
— ⚡️ Vay ⚡️ (@ObeyVay_) October 21, 2015
5. Poot brings good fortune to all:
6. Just a meme?! Please:
7. You’ll all be happy to know that Poot is making sure that her voice is heard on Twitter:
my name is poot lovato and this is my story pic.twitter.com/qsX1kb2GDO
— Poot Lovato (@OfficialPoot) October 12, 2015
8. And she already has a plethora of stans stanning away for her:
a collection of hot poot lovato pics pic.twitter.com/dLaET3lU34
— Lex (@lexfirth) October 16, 2015
9. They are all very excited about her upcoming debut album:
10. Don’t tell your mother/Poot for the summer:
11. Poot is finding it hard to adjust to her new life of fame, however, and is lashing out at even her most dedicated followers:
12. I mean, come on Poot. You’re better than this:
I had a nightmare and poot lovato tried to kill me in it
— عمر طاوع (@omariospizza) October 21, 2015
13. Now, here’s the one thing that every young girl must find out before she becomes a woman–are you a Demi or a Poot?
14. Where were you when you found out that Demi and Poot were actually the same person?
if you see me laughing randomly during the day it's okay I'm just thinking about poot lovato
— paige hettinger (@paigehettinger) October 20, 2015
What do you think about Poot Lovato? Which is your fave meme? Do you think she can make it as a star? Let us know in the comments!