There are many great things about Tumblr, and one of those things is that users will never stop creating their own unique Tumblr jokes. Some of my favorite jokes are actually Tumblr memes, and this particular “I’m fine” meme is probably my absolute favorite. Over-thinkers everywhere, rejoice! Tumblr knows that when you say you’re “fine,” you really are not fine. Actually, when you say you’re “fine,” you’re probably thisclose to hurting someone.
The joke is this: someone (usually a girl) says she’s fine, but then the decoded version of what she really means is a long, thought-out explanation of what she’s actually thinking. And, sure, some people don’t do this, but a lot of us do, which makes this funny and relatable. The fact that girls are taught to keep a lid on their real thoughts and feelings so they don’t get too ~emotional~ is part of what makes this joke work so well. You aren’t fine! And that’s okay! Here are 14 times Tumblr explained what you really mean when you say “I’m fine:”
1) The original “I’m fine” meme raises some important concerns about the possibility of bees.
2) Then it calls into question the sentience of parrots who can talk.
3) But the meme *really knows* what you’re most concerned about is the animal based postal service in Harry Potter and their relative moral compass in potentially assisting Voldemort.
4) What’s more is you still never got an explanation about the true form of boggarts and it’s pressing you.
5) And duh, you’re not fine! Double standards in specifically shaming women’s bodies are built into laws and that’s not OK.
6) Hey, remember that time you didn’t know if Sandy Cheeks was messing with Spongebob or if she genuinely did not know that marine life required water to live? Of course you do.
7) No one ever got answers about the government in Shrek. Did the royal family have any real power? Who does Lord Farquad think he is?
8) CAN WE TALK ABOUT WHAT DISNEY PRINCESS BELONGS TO WHAT KINGDOM AND IN WHAT TIME LINE BECAUSE THIS DAMN NEAR BLEW MY MIND?
9) But this totally brings up a valid point about Catdog…
10) And the random appearance of Ruby Rose’s character in Orange Is The New Black…
11) So, about that time S.H.I.E.L.D. thought it could trick Captain America – a superhero – into believing he isn’t waking up in the future for who knows how long…
12) Your heart goes out to Steve Buscemi. He doesn’t deserve to get made fun of. Not fine!
13) Sometimes your brain has meme-ception and Tyra starts yelling at Tiffany which is totally not fine.
14) And how could you possibly be fine when you’re guarding the wall? Looking at you GoT fans.
Which of these “I’m fine” memes is your favorite? What did we forget to include? Tell me in the comments!
You can follow the author, Aliee Chan, on Twitter.