Oftentimes, when I find myself with a lack of things to do, I sit around and think about how my life would be different if I suddenly stopped being myself and turned into Drake. What if I were the biggest dork in hip-hop? How does it feel to be a mom in disguise? And, finally, what is it really like to know that pretty much every single thing you ever do will probably be turned into a meme?
I still have not turned into Drake, so I don’t really know the answers to those questions. I do know that the whole meme-ification of Drake yet again reared its (beautiful) head last night, though, when Drake released the hotly anticipated video for his latest ode to thirst, “Hotline Bling.” In the video, Drake has a very…particular dancing style and, as to be expected, the good people of Twitter, Instagram, and Vine had their ways with it. Like any good meme, this one has some contentious, divisive factions–the general agreement is that he is, as always, daddy AF, while others just think he’s an uncle. Check it out below and choose for yourself:
Drake dances like my dad. pic.twitter.com/FnJHex0kPE
— refinery29 (@Refinery29) October 20, 2015
2. This is Drake playing a father on Saturday night live:
Ever since I left the city you pic.twitter.com/R9nbCkl9mW
— Nathan Zed (@NathanZed) October 20, 2015
3. “Dad, STOP. It’s time to go home::
— Rachael Krishna (@RachaelKrishna) October 20, 2015
4. Dads love Frasier:
Drake dances to the Frasier theme quite nicely. pic.twitter.com/GK0X6iTlsz
— Mark (@tole_cover) October 20, 2015
5. You know how your dad always tries to eat your food?
u gonna finish those fries? pic.twitter.com/7syYIdimc1
— L.A.S (@SartoriallyInc) October 20, 2015
6. Drake, your father, is feeling the Bern:
Drake's new Hotline Bling video, basically https://t.co/BG4I8Eh7Og
— Varoon Bose (@varoonbose) October 20, 2015
7. Drake is the content. We are the creators. We are ALL winners here:
Drake is enough of a tactician to realise that dad dancing makes for good meme marketing.
— Gary Warnett (@gwarizm) October 20, 2015
8. For some people, however, this is no laughing matter–dads everywhere are up in arms over the blatant theft of their favorite dance moves:
Some of Drake's moves in the hotline bling video he has DEFINITELY stolen from my dad. We are not happy &he will be hearing from our lawyers
— Chlöe Howl (@ChloeHowl) October 20, 2015
9. There is also a large faction of people who think that Drake is not a dad–but, rather an uncle:
— Noisey (@NoiseyMusic) October 20, 2015
10. Or, perhaps, an auntie:
— dalia (@ahmed_dalia) October 20, 2015
11. Why don’t we soothe our familial drama with a Disney Channel Original Movie?
Deleted scene from High School Musical https://t.co/gJVXJui9HH
— Common White Girl (@girlposts) October 20, 2015
12. Charlie Brown, too, is something that the whole family can enjoy:
I hate y'all https://t.co/Wo40UKGZXd
— Garfield (@JamaicanIdiot) October 20, 2015
13. Or, of course, the Aubrey Graham show:
— Picasso (@OfficialJlover) October 20, 2015
14. Any way you look at it, Drake–the ultimate family man–obviously knows how to laugh at himself:
What do you think of the Hotline Bling video? Is Drake a dad, an uncle, or something else altogether? Let us know in the comments!