Long distance relationships are brutal – there’s just no way around it. When you love someone, you want to be close to them! You go to sleep each night with a yearning for the body of that special person beside you. While technology (FaceTime, Skype, texting) definitely makes the distance a little more tolerable, there’s still no substitute for the real thing, baby. Even if you talk multiple times a day, you miss the physical contact that is so important in a romantic relationship.
But LDRs can also be exciting in ways that people in “normal” relationships don’t understand. Getting to see each other becomes an event. You scrub yourself top to bottom, get dressed to the nines, and savor every single second you get to spend together. Those trips become amazing memories that you’ll cherish forever. Plus, the anticipation that builds while you wait for your BF to get off that plane is kind of epic! We’re talking The Notebook level of romance, here, ladies!
I was in an LDR for a few years. Unfortunately, it ended with him cheating on me with one of his grad-school classmates, but that’s to be expected when you’re living 400 miles apart and only seeing each other once every three months. I wasn’t a big fan of being in an LDR. It was a drain financially to be buying plane tickets when I was making minimum wage. It was a drain emotionally because I started getting paranoid that the relationship was going to end. It was a drain physically because…well…mama wasn’t getting the loving she needed! *sigh* Still, somehow I made it work for a while, because I really loved that guy.
If you’ve ever been in an LDR or are currently white-knuckling your way through one, you’ll totally understand these posts:
1. You can’t wait for that physical contact.
2. Traveling to see each other feels epic.
3. You can get a little too attached.
4. You spend a long time getting ready for those Skype sessions.
5. You have to mark your territory.
6. Sometimes it ends in disaster.
7. Other people don’t get it.
8. You have irregular shaving habits.
9. You’re so tired of people hating on your LDR.
10. You feel like they are with you even when they’re not.
11. Saying goodbye is the WORST.
12. Getting your period to cooperate with your LDR schedule is difficult!
13. You run out of ways to keep things exciting over video.
To spice up your long distance relationship try rubbing chilli in your eyes in front of each other over Skype
— ruby (@rubyetc) October 13, 2015
14. Technology doesn’t always cooperate with you.
15. You become very good at fantasizing.
16. You come up with creative ways to feel close.
17. You can become a little obsessed with your SO.
18. Coordinating online chats can be difficult.
19. It’s hard not to compare yourself to friends’ relationships.
20. You have to answer stupid questions from people about your relationship.
Have you ever been in an LDR? What was your experience? Let us know in the comments below!
Like this post? Follow the author Richelle Meiss on twitter!