Look, obviously, I love a good meme as much as the next girl. I’m not a monster. It’s just that the other day I logged onto Facebook, and what do you think I saw? It was a picture of my friends (you know, Facebook-wise) in a couples costume, but not just any couples costume–the guy was wearing a Netflix t-shirt, and the girl was dressed like an ice cube. You know, as in “Netflix and Chill.”
I can’t explain why, exactly, I found it to be so revolting–perhaps it’s because we already suffer from major meme-overload syndrome as a society, particularly in regards to Netflix and chill–I just knew that I had to close out of the window as fast as I possibly could before I submerged my laptop in a bucket of Lysol. It was a harrowing experience, overall, but even more harrowing was knowing that these people couldn’t have thought up this costume on their own. Sure enough, I typed in “Netflix and chill Halloween costume” into my Google search bar–for I am a masochist–and I was immediately assaulted by a vast assortment of increasingly terrible Netflix and chill costumes, as well as a whole bunch of other meme-themed costumes.
Behold, the worst of the bunch. You can use this list as a lookbook, if you’re into that kind of thing. Just know that I shan’t be supporting you:
1. Netflix and KILL ME:
2. You can Netflix and chill all by yourself, if you want:
— Lexi Noel (@LexiNoelTBQ) October 8, 2015
3. What’s that? You’ve finally forgotten about all of the trauma that the dress caused you? TOO BAD:
4. Or you can be pizza rat. Sexy pizza rat, that is:
5. Don’t worry guys, you have two options if you want to be Left Shark–first, there’s this bad boy:
6. Also, there’s the sexy left shark option. God bless:
7. Hey, remember that Oscars selfie? Well, here it is again:
8. You CLEARLY cannot make ‘Forever Alone’ a couples’ costume. Sorry, I just care about a little something called “meme integrity:”
9. WHO THOUGHT OF THIS? WHO CAN I SUE?
It's finally here and available to you for a nice price: SEXY DONALD TRUMP pic.twitter.com/AqhiaJDLNz
— Holly (@holly_holl) September 20, 2015
10. Please don’t encourage the “dad bod” fad:
Source: Thug Life
11. Just…don’t be a minion couple:
12. Or Deflategate:
Source: Halloween Costumes
13. You could do “Bad Blood,” but without a million dollars to spend on effects, what’s the point, really?
— Color by Amber (@ColorbyAmber) October 6, 2015
14. Much like the “Bad Blood” costume, an Ariana Grande vs. donut one seems both inevitable and eye roll-worthy:
15. Not really a meme, but it deserves mention–if I have to tell you not to be “clock boy,” just don’t go out on Halloween:
— FOX 5 DC (@fox5newsdc) October 6, 2015
16. And, just to drive it in, here’s one more Netflix and Chill:
(Confession: I kind of like this last one. WHATEVER. I CONTAIN MULTITUDES.)
What do you think of meme costumes? Are they terrible, or are you here for them? Let us know in the comments!