One of the big stressors in my life is texting. I get overwhelmed when people text me while I’m unavailable – THEN THEY GET MAD WHEN I DON’T RESPOND. Technology has made everything move at such a fast pace that people have super high expectations for texting back. To those people I say, “Some of us are too busy living life to drop everything and respond as soon as you text!” Sorry not sorry.
Also, it is much harder to convey your feelings via text vs. a real-life conversation. Things you say can be easily misconstrued or taken the wrong way. Plus, when you talk in person, everything you say is not written down for posterity. No one can screenshot what you said and show their best friends. People can’t pull up your text a year from now and use what you said against you. I’m telling you, it’s all just too complicated.
While texting might seem like the most efficient form of communication, I’m going to argue that it’s not. Here are 18 reasons texting is actually the most difficult form of communication:
1. First, let’s state the obvious:
I hate texting.
— Becky G. (@iambeckyg) September 21, 2015
2. It’s hard to discuss serious things when texting.
Relationships are harder now because…conversations become texting, arguments become phone calls and feelings become statuses.
— Francois Botha (@fbotha1) September 21, 2015
3. People can be very passive aggressive texters.
When ur texting someone and u can feel their negative vibes radiating thru the phone pic.twitter.com/YyDThcb5D1
— NORTH WEST (@Its_North_West) August 29, 2015
4. Sometimes someone’s texting style is really annoying.
5. The texting abbreviations are too hard to keep up with.
6. People get mad if you don’t text back right away…
7. So you have to give an excuse as to why you didn’t respond.
texting me is like pic.twitter.com/wVbu6OzKID
— Sᴄᴏᴛᴛ Pᴏᴘᴇsᴄᴜ (@stereoskyline) September 21, 2015
8. Sometimes you just forget to text someone back and then you look like a jerk.
9. It’s always scary getting the “we need to talk” text.
Texting bae like pic.twitter.com/KZn3zSmMeA
— Curtis Lepore (@curtislepore) September 15, 2015
10. Those three little dots can cause a lot of anxiety.
11. Sometimes you’re about to send someone a text and then they say something that changes everything and you have to start all over again.
Don't text me while I'm in middle of texting you. Now I have to change my whole text
— Jonah Lesnick (@JonahLesnick) September 20, 2015
12. There is no panic like not getting a response to a risky text.
13. You have NO IDEA how the person is going to respond until they actually do.
14. There’s no way to recall text messages even though it’s 2015.
15. You feel a lot of pressure to say the right thing.
16. When someone won’t stop texting you, you have to figure out the best way to make them stop without hurting their feelings.
17. You can spend 90 percent of your day resisting the urge to text someone you like.
If you're a guy and I text you first trying to start a conversation I'm most likely hella into you
— Maggie Lindemann (@MaggieLindemann) September 21, 2015
18. Picking out the right emoji is stressful.
Sorry my speech bubble was up for 4 minutes while I was as texting you. I was searching for an emoji.
— Erica (@SCbchbum) September 22, 2015
Why do you think texting is a complicated form of communication? What’s the most annoying part? Let us know in the comments below!
Like this post? Follow author Richelle Meiss on twitter!