I love curling my hair, and my tool of choice is a curling wand. To me, curling wands are incredibly easy to use and give me awesome curls or waves whenever I need them. I’m obsessed with my wand and I bring it literally everywhere with me.
But when it comes to curling irons, forget about it. I can give you gorgeous glam waves or tight curls in ten minutes using a wand, but an iron with a clamp? Nope. I just cannot figure out how to use them, which is sort of embarrassing, honestly, because I’m a beauty editor and I should know how to do those things.
So, when I put together this list of curling iron (and wand!) tricks and tips, it was just as much for my benefit as it was for yours. These tips will help you figure out how to get any sort of curl you want, whether it’s large waves or tight ringlets. They’ll also help you learn how to use your hot tools in new ways that you probably haven’t thought about before. Here are 18 curling iron tricks and tips you need in your life now:
1. The way you wrap your hair on the wand makes a difference! Here are three types of easy curls:
2. Here are exactly what products you should use for each type of curl you want:
3. There are so many different sized curling irons. Confused on which one you should get? Here are the results they’ll give you:
4. And here are more examples, in celebrity form!
5. How your iron is made matters too. Here is what each type does:
6. Here are the different types of curls you can get with a standard curling iron:
7. Need fast curls? Pull your hair into a ponytail and start curling. It’s faster and easier!
8. How you prep your hair before curling it also makes a big difference in the results you’ll see.
9. You can fake a blowout by curling your hair this way:
10. Sometimes textured, second day curls look even better than first day curls. When you want that relaxed look on fresh hair, follow this tutorial:
11. Curl with layers, and keep the iron pointing down for the easiest natural curls:
12. Here are the different kind of curls you can get using a standard wand:
13. Want a wand instead of an iron? Here’s how to remove the clamp:
14. Make your curls last with this tip:
15. Don’t forget to clean your iron!
16. If your curls always look different on one side of your head, follow this tutorial:
17. Get beach waves using an iron:
18. Lastly, keep this guide close by:
Which of these curling tricks and tips did you find the most helpful? What did we forget to include? Tell us in the comments!