If you DGAF about politics or social justice, you…might not have even clicked on this post. But on the off chance that you did click, hey! Wassup? Hello! Let’s talk for a sec.
I think that it’s really easy for people to think that politics is just boring crap that dudes in suits do, and that social justice is just a bunch of people yelling on Tumblr. While there’s some truth to that, it’s not the whole story. Honestly, politics determine what we do every single day and social justice attempts to critique what our society determines is right for us. Like, the fact that girls have super strict dress codes at school because those in charge see our bodies as a distraction or a temptation by default? Uh, yeah, that’s a social justice issue. The fact that black girls are called ghetto for wearing braids, but as soon as they’re spotted on a white model on a style site it’s cool and high fashion? That’s a social justice issue. The fact that you can’t even get a college education without being in debt for years and years of your life after you graduate? Yeah, that’s a social justice issue, too.
Social justice and politics go hand in hand. It can all seem a little overwhelming until it’s broken down into smaller issues that we actually GAF about. Here are 15 things you need to see that’ll probably get you to start caring about social justice…at least a little bit.
1. Let’s call out people who are promoting body hating BS.
2. School dress codes with incredibly harsh restrictions against girls’ bodies because they’re inherently distracting are such garbage. Also, blaming our bodies for what men do…is rape culture at its finest.
3. I’m gonna let Amandla Stenberg lay down a little message for those of you who think that black chicks overreact when we’re angry about our hair styles becoming hip as soon as they’re on a white body (sup, Kylie?):
4. Some food for thought.
5. In case you didn’t know, trans women–especially trans women of color–are being murdered. Regularly. But no, let’s keep on mocking trans people, right? Ugh.
6. If you think that people are imagining racist double standards regarding police brutality…think again.
7. People only want you to look natural on their terms.
8. Some questions for fat shamers:
9. JSYK: Being a condescending jerk about anyone who wears a hijab is not a good look. There are plenty of Muslim women out there who make decisions for themselves.
10. If Rowan Blanchard’s critique of white feminism got your attention, this will, too:
11. Notice how many celebs do this?
12. Welcome to your future! 🙂
13. GIRLS DON’T JUST EXIST FOR DUDES. I REPEAT, GIRLS DON’T JUST EXIST FOR DUDES.
14. BLOOP BLOOP BLOOP.
15. Oh, and in case you think that people are just being obnoxious SJWs when talking about the effect of race and representation in our society…take a look at this.
Which of these resonated with you the most? What are three issues that you really care about? Tell us in the comments!