I’m a very shy, introverted person (and yes, I know those are two different things). My idea of a good time is grabbing dinner with a friend, maybe watching a movie, gossiping while eating ice cream, or going to the beach. I prefer to stay in and do things than go out and act crazy, because that’s just my personality. However, every once in a while, I get invited to parties that I have to attend. And while I try to act like a normal, social person, it’s hard… and things end up being awkward.
Parties are full of people talking loudly and moving around from group to group. I hate that atmosphere. I’m really awkward when it comes to small talk. I don’t do well in large crowds. My voice is very low and no one can ever hear me. More than anything, I hate being in a room full of people and still feeling like I’m totally alone. It’s weird.
I’ve gotten a little bit better at social situations, but I will never be the girl who is the life of the party. Ever. I’m okay with that. I know a lot of you can feel my pain. Here are 24 things every shy girl does at parties:
1. Obsess over the party until you’re walking out the door.
What if your friend leaves you? What if you don’t know anyone? What if you get stuck there?
2. Ask for every detail about who will be there and what will be going on.
3. Change your mind about going at least five times before you go.
First you’re excited. Then you think about what the evening will entail, and you feel totally drained. Maybe you shouldn’t even go. No, you have to go. Ugh.
4. Force a friend to walk in with you because no way are you walking in alone.
5. Stick by this friend the entire time if you don’t know anyone else.
You’re basically her shadow.
6. Feel bad about sticking by this friend the entire time.
She doesn’t want to act like your babysitter! God, why are you so annoying? Maybe you should just go.
7. Listen to your friends introduce you by saying, “This is so-and-so. She’s really shy!”
Welp. Now what?
8. Stand on the outskirts of conversations because you feel awkward joining in and also, no one is really acknowledging you.
You’ll stand in that awkward spot where you’re not really in the circle, you’re kind of out of it, and you have no idea what to do with yourself.
9. Feel completely panicked when you lose track of the friend you feel comfortable with.
10. Similarly, having a small panic attack when your friend says, “I’ll be right back,” but trying not to show it because she’s not your mom.
You’re like, “Oh, uh, where are you going, WHY CAN’T I COME OMG”
11. Stand there scrolling through your phone when you have no one to talk to so you don’t look like a total loser.
You pray no one looks over your shoulder to see you scrolling through your Facebook newsfeed from five hours ago.
12. Wonder if everyone around you is talking about how weird you are.
13. Feel beyond ecstatic when you spot someone else you feel comfortable with.
OMG THANK GOD A FRIEND.
14. Spend a lot of time wishing you weren’t so shy.
15. Stare in awe at your outgoing peers who don’t seem to care what anyone thinks.
How do they do it?
16. Literally run away when someone brings up playing a game that involves you doing embarrassing things.
Flip cup? So everyone can watch you fail? No thanks.
17. Convince people you’re having a good time when they say you don’t look like you’re having any fun.
18. Have moments where you feel totally overwhelmed by the crowd…
19. …So you hide out in the bathroom for some along time.
20. End up in a conversation with someone you barely know and struggle to make small talk.
21. Listen to people exclaim about quiet you are.
22. But also, generally feel pretty invisible.
Does anyone even notice you?
23. Spend a lot of time waiting for the right moment to jump into a convo, only to never say anything because you waited too long and everyone has moved on to another topic.
Well, that was a wasted comment.
24. Feel a sense of relief when you finally know you’re leaving – and also, strangely, start to only have fun in the last few minutes there.
No one can say you didn’t try!
Which of these things can you relate to the most? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments!