Untouched, dorm rooms are… not very nice to look at. Sure, there are some private colleges and universities that offer gorgeous, spacious dorm rooms, but the majority of them don’t. And if you plan on going to a state school? Forget it. State schools give out small, often cramped dorm rooms that are completely utilitarian and almost totally bare.
In any case, it’s up to you to make your dorm look amazing. You can use your creativity and personal style to create a space you’re proud to show off. Even if you and your roomie are into different things, your side of the dorm room is yours to do what you want. Don’t just give into a boring room – use inspiration from real and amazing dorms on the Internet to feel happy and at home whenever you’re in your temporary bed. And, obviously, a good Instagram picture.
Want to have the coolest dorm room in your building? Check out these 20 incredible dorm room photos for inspiration and decor ideas.
1. Hang a giant tapestry on one wall or in a corner. It makes everything look cooler. Urban Outfitters has tons of options.
2. If you have room, put a small couch and table in between your bunk buds. It’s great for guests. The table should be small enough to be stowed away when necessary.
3. Use tons of fluffy pillows on your bed to instantly make your room look more homey.
4. Cover the walls in posters and photos of all different sizes. It looks way cooler.
5. Don’t have room for a couch or chair? Hang a hammock under a bunk bed. It’s good for guests (or for throwing clothes on top of), and it just looks awesome.
6. Bring the outdoors to you with a giant nature tapestry or poster right next to your bed.
7. Hide the top of the bottom bunk with a sheer sheet and tiny lights.
8. Actually use little string lights everywhere, from your walls to all around your bed.
9. If you’re not allowed to put anything on the walls, buy a giant bulletin or cork board like this and prop it up. You can cover it with photos.
10. Hang something cool from the ceiling.
11. Cover an icky or boring ceiling with a big tapestry. Much nicer to stare at!
12. Put your desk under your bunk, then hang sheer curtains. You can leave them open or close them when you want privacy.
13. Fill your shelves with more than just books. Add candles, mugs, and all the decorations possible.
14. If you have room, a big comfy chair can be a really cool addition – especially if it’s vintage looking like this one.
15. Hang bright curtains around your bed to have a private space when you need it.
16. Hang photos from a string light and decorate everywhere with it.
17. If you’re allowed, add a bunch of green plants. They will give your room an instant, fresh update.
18. Hang sheer curtains and string lights together over your bed sot hat it looks like you’re falling asleep under the stars.
19. Use magazine pages to create a cool quote for your wall.
20. Add shelves over your desk to save space and make it look like you.
Which of these dorm room inspiration photos are your favorite? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments.