In case you missed it, last night a supposed feud erupted between Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift. Basically, Nicki called out MTV for snubbing “Anaconda” and “Feelin’ Myself” in the Video of the Year category for the Video Music Awards. While those videos were nominated for Best Female Video and Best Hip-Hop Video, the impact “Anaconda” had should have gotten it a Video of the Year nod.
Nicki took to Twitter to make very valid points about the music industry. Then Taylor Swift felt like Nicki was calling her out (which she wasn’t) and tried to make it about her. It was all very uncomfortable. Nicki even checked Taylor and gave her an opportunity to join an important dialogue about the music industry.
Huh? U must not be reading my tweets. Didn't say a word about u. I love u just as much. But u should speak on this. @taylorswift13
— NICKI MINAJ (@NICKIMINAJ) July 21, 2015
While many are supporting Nicki, many are not, which is absurd. People are portraying her as an angry black woman when, in reality, she spoke to real issues in the industry. Nicki has never been one to not speak her mind. She is a powerful, talented woman who always encourages other women to speak up and do their thing. She is a badass, and here are 20 reasons why she should be your role model:
1. Every time she states her name like a boss:
Do not be afraid to state who you are.
2. When she wasn’t afraid to be like “This is MY time”:
Don’t let people waste your time.
3. When she supported all female rappers in the game:
4. When she told Sophia and Rosie to stay in school:
YES! Education is SO important.
5. When she didn’t have time to hear nonsense:
6. When she encouraged other performers to work it:
Yes, you can support others.
7. When she wasn’t afraid to admit she was hungry and wanted food:
Don’t let society’s standards stop you from eating and living your life.
8. When she explained that “picky” is not “bitchy” at all:
How is wanting what you want “bitchy” when a girl does it?
9. When she called out the hip-hop industry for being super sexist:
Nicki is a better rapper than most male rappers tbh.
10. When she was unapologetically herself:
If you don’t like it, too bad.
11. When she called out society for making it really damn tough to be a girl:
She followed this up with “I’m a human being!”
12. When she explained that being good at her job doesn’t make her difficult:
Having standards doesn’t make you difficult either.
14. When she encouraged her audience to work hard:
If you work hard, you can do anything!
15. When she didn’t have time for people who weren’t there for her true self:
Don’t waste your hours with someone who doesn’t really want to know who you are.
16. When she accepted herself as a role model and again stressed how important education is:
17. When she told her fans that they were good enough:
Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!
18. When she told fans to literally be everything they can be:
Seriously, how dare you!
19. When she told you not to be scared to speak your mind:
Getting called a “bitch” is not the end of the world. They’re just trying to bring you down.
20. And when she inspired you to always get the credit you deserve: