If you’ve ever read a book, watched a TV show, or seen a movie, chances are you’ve developed a crush on a fictional character. You’re not crazy! This happens all the time, and it’s totally normal. We’ve all had crushes on characters, and some of them even sparked our sexual awakening.
Don’t feel weird if you’re crushing on someone who doesn’t exist! You’re probably experiencing these struggles:
1. Well… they’re not real.
2. If they’re a book character, they look differently in your head than in a TV or movie adaptation.
3. You get legitimately jealous when they’re with another fictional character.
Why are you not with me?!
4. Or you ship them with another character and feel sad about it.
I guess if you HAVE to be with someone…
5. You can’t text or call them.
And they can’t contact you, obviously.
6. You refer to the actor or actress by their character’s name.
Same, but different.
7. You compare your real-life crushes to your fictional crush.
It’s not fair, but whatever.
8. Or get annoyed with your actual significant other for not being more like your fictional love.
Why are you not more like this person in my book?!
9. You wish you were a fictional character and could live in their world.
10. You maybe write a fictional story where you can be with your fictional crush.
I know you have fan fiction.
11. When your friend has a crush on the same character, you understand but are also jealous.
And you wonder how this love triangle would play out in real life.
12. When you see an actor or actress play a different character, you kind of hate them.
How dare you!
13. You feel like you can’t admit your crush to anyone because they don’t exist.
14. When you’re done reading or watching whatever your fictional crush is in, you actually feel like you broke up.
15. Or WORSE: they die.
PLEASE COME BACK!
16. Anytime you start a new book or show, you’re like:
Can I have a crush on someone real perhaps?
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Tell us in the comments below!
You can reach this post’s author, Caitlin Corsetti, on Twitter and Instagram!