I’ll just say it: I have a lot of trust issues. I can count on one hand the number of people I trust unconditionally in this world, and 99 percent of them are family members. It takes a very long time for me to trust someone, and sadly, I don’t even fully trust most of the people I’m closest to in this world. Once I trust you, it’s a Big Deal, and if you do one thing that makes me question that trust, it’s pretty much gone for good.
I don’t love being this way, because it makes close relationships very difficult. These trust issues have made it hard for me to be in intimate relationships, and they have contributed to a lot of fights I’ve had with various boyfriends before. I wish I was a more trusting person sometimes, and it really is something I’m trying to work on, but I just don’t know how much I can change that part of me.
This world is pretty messed up, so I know I’m not the only one with this problem. Here are 18 things you’ll only get if you have trust issues as well:
1. You can’t help but jump to the worst conclusions when questioning someone’s motives.
Even before you know the whole story, you assume they’ve done the worst to you.
2. You like to put yourself in control in most situations so that you don’t have to depend on other people, even for little things.
3. You’re weary of new people in your life and it takes you a long time to feel comfortable around them.
4. You keep your true feelings guarded from most people.
5. In new relationships, you tend to get jealous very easily because you don’t really trust the person you’re dating yet.
6. Whenever someone new approaches you to flirt, you wonder if they’re just messing with you or being honest.
7. Once a friend or significant other lies to you, you never, ever forget it.
8. You have lied and told someone you trusted them even if you didn’t just to get them off your back.
9. It almost feels like sometimes you’re waiting for someone close to you to do something behind your back, just so you can scream, “I knew it!!!!”
10. You realize your trust issues are a little destructive and it kind of freaks you out.
11. Even when you DO trust someone, you have moments of weakness where you wonder if you’re right about them.
You usually feel horrible afterwards.
12. You hate feeling vulnerable and will do anything to avoid it.
13. You spend so much time wondering if people are deceiving you that you’ve become really good at picking up warning signs…
14 …but also, you’re a little too paranoid for your own good sometimes.
15. You’re constantly baffled by people who can trust so easily, even after getting hurt in the past.
16. Hearing about other people being cheated on or screwed over makes you feel extra suspicious about things in your life.
17. You know that sometimes, your feelings aren’t fair, but you can’t help it.
18. When you finally do trust someone, you make a big deal out of it to them.
Can you relate to this? Are you a trusting person or no? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments.