I’ve been close friends with a group of girls for over 10 years now, which is really crazy for me to think about, because it makes me feel old. It also makes me feel really lucky, because I know that not everyone experiences this. I didn’t love my high school or the people in it, so the fact that I made some lifelong friends out of the whole thing is still pretty shocking to me.
Obviously, I have other friends besides this group of girls that has been around forever. I’ve known some of my other friends for only a few years now, in some cases, only a few months. I love them too, but it’s definitely a really different dynamic. The more time you spend being close friends with someone, the more comfortable you two get, and that’s when things start to change. I love having new friends that I’m still getting to know, but I also love having friends I know literally everything about.
If you know what I’m talking about, you’ll appreciate this post. Here are 12 things that happen when you’ve had the same friends for over 10 years:
1. Sometimes you guys go weeks or even months without talking or seeing each other…
2. …But whenever you do get to talk or hang out, it feels like literally no time has passed.
3. You argue and pick at each other like siblings.
4. You’re totally comfortable walking into their house without knocking and hanging with their family even if they’re not around.
5. You’re probably pretty close friends with their siblings as well.
6. Half of your other friends are people you’ve met through your old friends, and vice versa.
7. Whenever one of you becomes close to someone new, the other one gets cautiously jealous.
8. You guys have gotten into a lot of stupid fights, some more serious than others, but you always make up.
9. However, there has been at least one time that you’ve thought things were really over for good.
10. You two can hang out and do literally nothing and barely speak because you’re so comfortable with each other.
11. Most of your text messages are you guys texting each other random things that happen throughout the day.
12. You can tell her when she’s annoying you without worrying about offending her, and vice versa.
13. This friend, or friends, have come on vacation with your family at least once, or you’ve gone with them.
14. When you don’t see them for a while, your parents ask where they are because they’re genuinely concerned.
15. You know that even if you’re fighting or haven’t spoken in a while, you can still ask for their help with anything.
16. They are in your Timehop almost every single day.
17. Trying to put together an Instagram birthday collage for them is almost impossible because you guys have so many pictures together.
18. Every hangout session turns into you guys reminiscing on memories from the past.
19. They do little things that annoy you and sometimes you talk about them, but actually you love them and don’t really mean any of it.
20. If they ever need anything, you go to them in heartbeat.
Do you have any friends you’ve had for over 10 years? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments.