I have never really understood why everyone hates Miley Cyrus. I’ve been an unapologetic Miley fan since she first appeared on the Disney Channel in Hannah Montana, which was a total guilty pleasure for me. I stayed a fan as she started to grow up. I defended her when she chopped off her hair, started releasing crazy music videos, and rode around on inflatable penises on her tour. And I’m still into her, because I’m a Miley fan regardless of what she wears, how she looks, or the “weird” pictures she posts on Instagram.
I realize that this opinion isn’t widely shared, but I think that Miley is more of a role model than she is someone to look down on and constantly make fun of. When Miley played the Hollywood starlet role, wearing beautiful designer gowns, attending premieres with a handsome man on her arm, and showing off long hair extensions, everyone loved her. But the second she started showing off her true personality, everyone turned on her. Do I think that says a lot about the people in this world? Yeah, I kind of do. And I don’t really think she deserves half the hate she gets.
Is Miley Cyrus perfect? No, of course she isn’t. Has she done and said really stupid things? Um, yeah, she has. I’m not denying that. But keep in mind that Miley was literally growing up in front of the world, figuring out who she is and what she wants. When you’ve done that, or if you’re doing that right now, have you done/said stupid things you wish you could take back? I’m sure you have, but the difference is that the world wasn’t watching, waiting to judge.
Yeah, maybe Miley shouldn’t constantly be praising marijuana when she has a lot of young fans (although marijuana is legal in some states now, and is a considerably safer drug than a lot of other drugs other celebrities do). Yes, Miley should have been more sensitive and aware when it came to cultural appropriation. But all in all, she does more good than harm, and I think it’s time to start recognizing that. So, here are 23 times Miley Cyrus shocked everyone by acting like a role model.
1. When she came out about her sexuality in a very real way.
2. When she discussed being gender fluid in a really articulate way, bringing more awareness to something a lot of people can relate to.
In an interview, Miley said she doesn’t relate to either gender: “I didn’t want to be a boy. I kind of wanted to be nothing. I don’t relate to what people would say defines a girl or a boy, and I think that’s what I had to understand: Being a girl isn’t what I hate, it’s the box that I get put into.”
3. When she launched a transgender awareness campaign on Instagram.
4. When she was celebrated at an amFar event for raising over $69K for AIDs research.
5. And when you realize she has done other things to raise money for AIDs before this:
— Miley Ray Cyrus (@MileyCyrus) January 20, 2015
6. When she used the MTV Music Awards to bring awareness to homeless youths.
Yeah, it was kind of weird, but it was nice to see her use her spotlight for something positive.
7. And reacted to critics like this:
The media never fails to disappoint. You've chosen to go after Jesse instead of covering the issue of youth homelessness 🙁
— Miley Ray Cyrus (@MileyCyrus) August 26, 2014
When it was discovered that the homeless youth she brought on stage had a criminal history, everyone forgot about the good thing Miley was trying to do, and instead focused on the negative.
8. When she started her Happy Hippie Foundation.
9. When she started doing backyard sessions for her Happy Hippie Foundation.
For all of you who claim she doesn’t have talent, you can listen to her voice (without autotune) here.
10.When she publicly supported Caitlyn Jenner’s transition.
11. Whenever she posts photos on Instagram in her zit cream, being real.
12. When she refuses to not be herself, even when everyone makes fun of her.
13. When she constantly encourages her fans to be themselves.
14. When she posted pictures with armpit hair and didn’t give AF.
15. When she dyed her armpit hair.
16. When she explained the controversy behind her her backup dancers.
I don’t feel like I can speak about Miley’s cultural appropriation with her backup dancers, but when she was accused of that, she explained herself by saying: “Somehow a lot of people thought I was exploiting black culture. The reason why I hired those girls for the VMAs is because they’re not white, skinny girls—they’re healthy-looking girls. Like, moms—usually they hate me—but they come up and they’re like, ‘Thank you so much for having girls that look like my daughter dancing for you.’”
17. When she spoke honestly about her depression
In that same interview, she said: “It’s more of an issue than people really want to talk about. Because people don’t know how to talk about being depressed—that it’s totally okay to feel sad. I went through a time where I was really depressed. Like, I locked myself in my room and my dad had to break my door down. It was a lot to do with, like, I had really bad skin, and I felt really bullied because of that. But I never was depressed because of the way someone else made me feel, I just was depressed. Every person can benefit from talking to somebody. I’m the most antimedication person, but some people need medicine, and there was a time where I needed some too. So many people look at [my depression] as me being ungrateful, but that is not it—I can’t help it. There’s not much that I’m closed off about, and the universe gave me all that so I could help people feel like they don’t have to be something they’re not or feel like they have to fake happy. There’s nothing worse than being fake happy.”
18. Whenever she discusses gender issues.
19. When she fought to free the nipple.
20. Whenever she encourages feminism.
21. When she unapologetically spoke about loving herself.
Say what you want about her – but not enough females do this.
22. When she posts pics of her greasy blotting papers to show us it’s about more than just beauty.
23. When she makes fun of the things everyone says about her like a queen.
Which of these do you agree with the most? Do you disagree? Are you not a fan of Miley or do you love her? Tell me in the comments.