I know that summer doesn’t officially begin until June 21. But honestly? Screw that. Summer begins the moment I start wearing shorts and become a sweaty mess after walking two blocks. So basically, summer has already begun. I’ve already started to get an ugly footwear tan, so you know it’s real.
As a black chick, summer is all about my melanin poppin’ to its full potential! But being black during the summer months also comes with its set of challenges and annoyances. Hey, you have to take the good with the bad, even if the bad is really really bad. If you’re black, you’ll definitely relate to these nine summer struggles. Good luck, sistas! We’re going to need it.
1. Having to deal with your light skinned, non-black friends sharing their tan by excitedly putting their arm against yours and saying, “OMG I’M LIKE AS DARK AS YOU NOW!” Girl, stop.
2. At least once, you’ve been the girl who has to implore your friends not to splash you at the beach or pool so that your hair doesn’t get wet.
3. Sweating out your hair style.
4. Thinking you don’t need any sunscreen and ending up with a nasty sunburn somewhere on your face. Hey, we need SPF, too! Don’t forget that!
5. Having to hear fellow black girls whine about getting darker in the summer. EMBRACE YOUR MELANIN, OKAY!
6. But at the same time, you know how annoying it is to deal with your makeup color totally changing for a few months.
7. If you have your hair pressed, there is no way you’re getting into a swimming pool without this happening:
8. Dealing with the worst ingrown hairs ever, especially after shaving down there.
9. Making extra sure that you aren’t ashy since so much skin is exposed now. No excuses!
Which of these is the most anger inducing for you? What other challenges do black girls face in the summer? Tell us in the comments!