One of the biggest color trends this summer is something slightly unexpected: it’s yellow. I say unexpected because yellow isn’t a color that you typically see everyone wearing. Yellow is bright, it’s loud, it’s in-your-face – it’s a bold color, and it’s not something you wear if you’re trying to play it safe.
I also know a lot of people who say that yellow isn’t flattering on them. As someone who loves wearing black, white, and brown, I’ve always felt the same way. But then one year, I found myself buying a pretty yellow tank top to match a skirt I wanted to wear. I was honestly so worried about wearing the outfit, because it was a little out of my comfort zone, but it looked great! It ended up being one of my favorite outfits.
The point is, you CAN wear yellow even if you think you can’t. You can also wear yellow without looking like a bumblebee, because, to be fair, that is a legitimate concern. Want to know how to get in on this color trend? Here are 20 style tips on how to wear yellow clothes this summer that you probably haven’t thought of:
1. Keep it simple by wearing a yellow t-shirt with blue jeans. Add colorful accessories to keep the look interesting.
2. A bright yellow blazer keeps an otherwise neutral look from being too boring.
3. Instead of just straight yellow, opt for a yellow pattern.
4. Wear a yellow cardigan in the summer by pairing it with summery dresses.
5. Not ready for yellow clothing? Go for yellow shoes instead. They add a really fun pop of color to any outfit, especially one that includes neutral colors.
6. A bright yellow bag is another fun and easy way to incorporate the trend into your wardrobe.
7. Or you can do a matching pair of shoes and bag!
8. Add a leather jacket to toughen up any yellow piece.
9. You CAN pair black with yellow, but the key to not looking like a bee is to add other colors as well, like this coral top and bright scarf.
10. Know what colors go well with yellow – one of them is bright blue.
11. A chambray shirt makes a nice contrast with a super bright yellow skirt.
12. If you don’t want to be really bright, go for a more muted yellow, like a mustard yellow.
13. Pair yellow pants with a white top for a crisp, cool look.
14. If you only want a pop of color, go for a bright yellow scarf like this one.
15. Pair a yellow top with patterened pants. The trick is to make sure the yellow top matches one color in the pattern, like so:
16. Make a long cardigan work for warmer weather by wearing it with a lacy tank and short shorts.
17. You can even do yellow on yellow if you’re feeling bold! The reason this outfit works is that she paired two different shades of yellow, and one is a light, almost sheer, color.
18. A yellow dress is a lot of yellow. Keep it simple by pairing it with brown and gold accessories.
19. If you just want something small, go for a bold yellow necklace.
20. You can always go for a pattern that uses yellow – and a matching accessory.
Which of these outfits is your favorite? How do you wear yellow clothes? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments.