This spring, a lot of fun patterns, prints, and fabrics are in style in a major way. One of my favorite trends for spring is gingham, which popped up on the spring and summer 2015 runways in all different fabrics, colors, and clothing options. Gingham is a checkered pattern that is really very similar to plaid, and I’m a huge fan of plaid (I basically lived in it this winter), so obviously, I love this too.
When a lot of people think of gingham, they think of picnic blankets or button-down shirts. But trust me, there are so many better options for gingham than a blanket. Get creative with this pattern this spring, and learn how to wear it in new and fun ways. Need some inspiration? Here are 20 style tips on how to wear gingham clothes, with outfit ideas from fashion bloggers and real girls.
1. Go for a super summery outfit with gingham shorts and a simple top, like a button-down. This preppy way to do shorts is a step above casual.
2. Keep it super simple and comfy with a gingham shirt and a pair of distressed denim. A leather jacket keeps you warm on chilly spring days.
3. Opt for spring layering with a gingham shirt, cute skirt, and sleeveless vest. Add a belt for a unique touch.
4. Tie your button-down gingham shirt at the waist to show off a tiny bit of your stomach, and pair it with a simple midi skirt for a cool look.
5. Keep things super simple and casual with a gingham shirt, chino shorts, and comfy flats.
6. Add a leather jacket over your gingham dress to toughen it up just the right amount.
7. Wear your gingham button-down shirt open, like a cardigan, with destroyed jeans and a plain tee. A pair of heels instantly dress things up, but you can go for flats for something more casual.
8. You can also wear your button-down open and tied at the waist over a cute sundress for a fun layer.
9. Tuck your gingham button-down into a pair of solid-colored pants for a more polished look. A bright belt keeps the outfit fun.
10. Be bold and mix gingham with another pattern or print. The key is to keep the same color scheme going.
11. Gingham pants are fun, preppy, and perfect for summer. Pair them with a solid top and bright shoes.
12. On slightly chilly spring days, layer your gingham shirt under a cardigan. Add shorts and a statement necklace to complete the look.
13. Do something different and go for a gingham blazer to wear with everything!
14. Wear a gingham co-ord set together, or pair the pieces separately. Look how cute that crop top is!
15. Wear a gingham skirt with a chambray top and pretty heels for a casual/cool look.
16. When your gingham dress is this cute, you don’t need to add much except for a pair of wedges.
17. Wear your gingham shirt tucked into a black skirt, and add a jean jacket to stay warm.
18. Denim shorts and a gingham shirt make the perfect casual summer outfit that is still really, really cute.
19. Pair a bright gingham statement skirt with a simple white tee.
20. Keep these tips in mind – especially that coat!
Which of these outfit ideas is your favorite? How do you wear gingham? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.