Back when I was in college, destroyed denim was really popular, especially from Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister. The more holes and rips your jeans had, the better! I wore my distressed denim with literally everything, and couldn’t imagine the day when I had to wear jeans that weren’t tattered and ripped up.
And then I got a full-time job, and it happened.
But ripped jeans are coming back! This clothing item has a super casual feel, and it can be hard to make it look put-together and polished. But it’s definitely not impossible! In fact, when styled correctly, destroyed denim looks seriously street-chic and so cool. You just have to know what to pair it with so that it looks less grungy and more “look how awesome my style is.” Here are 20 style tips on how to wear distressed denim that will make you want to start putting holes in all of your jeans.
1. On their own, ripped jeans and a simple sweater are super casual. But add a statement necklace and heels, and you’ve got an awesome outfit.
2. Front-tuck a button down shirt into skinny destroyed jeans, and add some booties – instant chic outfit.
3. You can always keep things super casual with a thank top, a cardigan, and sneakers. The key to making this look less bummy is to wear form-fitting jeans and add some cute accessories.
4. Wear high-waisted destroyed denim with a sparkly crop top for some serious glamour.
5. In warmer weather, add flat sandals and a flowy kimono top for the perfect casual look.
6. Go for boho-chic with loose ripped jeans cuffed up, a long tunic, and a hat. So cute and comfy!
7. Keep it simple and pair your ripped jeans with a hat and a bright tank top.
8. It’s still chilly outside! Add knee-high boots and a long cardigan to stay cozy even with the holes in your jeans.
9. Add a baggy striped tee to super skinny ripped jeans for a classic combo. Love the colorful flats.
10. Keep your ripped jeans classy with feminine accessories like gold jewelry, a floral scarf, pretty earrings, and heels.
11. Make your sweatshirt and destroyed denim even cuter with patterned ankle booties and a colorful beanie.
12. Sometimes all you need is the right shirt, like this very pretty floral top.
13. Add heels and a blazer with your ripped skinny jeans for a more professional vibe.
14. Stay cozy on colder days with a blanket scarf, booties, and a thick sweater.
15. You can’t go wrong with an all-black ensemble!
16. Add a glam top and colorful heels for a simple look that still stands out.
17. Pair your ripped jeans with oxford shoes for a cute outfit.
18. Front tuck a patterned sweater into your destroyed denim and add heels for the perfect spring outfit.
19. Somehow, this girl makes sneakers, ripped jeans, and a sweatshirt look ridiculously cool.
20. Add a leather jacket and flats to stay comfy while still looking cool.
Which of these outfits is your favorite? How do you wear your ripped jeans? What did I forget? Tell me in the comments.