If you’ve ever experienced dorm room lighting, you know it’s not ideal. When we stepped into my younger sister’s dorm room for the first time during her freshmen year of college, I was shocked to see some dim lights in the ceiling, but basically nothing else. No lamp by the bunk bed, no light in the closet, nothing. Granted, this was a state college, but still! It was dark in there!
Lighting is something that you pretty much have to take care of yourself, but why buy a plain and boring lamp from Wal-Mart when you could make your own lit-up objects? These DIY lighting projects are all super fun and will not only make your room brighter, but they’ll also add some much-needed decorations. Decor with a purpose! And don’t worry – anyone can do these, whether you’re in a dorm room or your bedroom at home. Check out these 16 awesome DIY lighting projects you need to make for the best dorm room ever:
1. Start off easy and decorate a cheap lamp by covering it in glitter and/or sequins.
2. String lights are great for your room. You can hang them on the wall, or if you can’t manage to do that, you can drape them around something. Make star-shaped ones:
3. If you don’t like the color of a lamp you already have, paint it to make it better looking.
4. Use ping pong balls and LED lights to create cool colored lights that will make your dorm look cozy at night.
5. Give your room a beachy vibe with this awesome DIY pineapple light.
6. This is a fun way to get a little extra light and show off photos – clip them to a string of fairy lights!
7. Find a new use for those old leggings and make them into a colored lampshade!
8. Make a cool initial light for your room to give it some personality.
9. Wrap fairy lights around a hula hoop to make a chandelier. You’re so fancy!
10. Get a cheap paper lantern, then cover it with glue and glitter to give your room some sparkle.
11. Get very crafty and make these impressive 3D geometric string lights.
12. Use cupcake wrappers to make these cool and pretty flower lights.
13. Dixie cups make the sweetest little hanging lights.
14. If you want something more colorful, try this:
15. Repurpose an old tin can into a cool light.
16. These DIY tassle lights are really cool and different:
Which of these DIY light projects is your favorite? Which are you going to try? What kind of DIY projects do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.