Just because it’s freezing cold outside doesn’t mean you have to hide all of your dresses away until the temperature goes up a little bit. Dresses can be worn even in the middle of the winter, and all it takes to make them cozy enough is a little bit of layering knowledge. In fact, you SHOULD wear your dresses in the winter. They have the potential to look really adorable and stylish!
In order to make dresses appropriate for winter, you have to have some fashion basics: leggings, tights, boots, thick socks, cardigans, and scarves. You want to look cute, but you also don’t want to freeze your butt off. It’s not worth it! If you’re unsure of how to make your summer dress work for the next few cold months, here are 20 style tips on how to wear dresses in the winter:
1. Pair your lacy white summer dress with a leather jacket or blazer, black tights, and black booties.
2. On warmer days, just add a scarf and high boots to a long-sleeved dress.
3. Add as many layers as possible: a chic hat, a jean jacket, a cardigan, a coat, a scarf, and high socks. Cozy!
4. Wear your dress over a chambray shirt and add tights, ankle boots, and a puffy vest.
5. Add pretty tights and lace-up boots.
6. Add a long cardigan, chunky knit scarf, tights, and combat boots. You can even add cute knit socks for added warmth.
7. Wear your dress with a scarf, tights, and thigh-high boots. It’s almost like wearing pants because so much of your legs will be covered!
8. Stay warm in a denim jacket, pretty tights, and ankle boots.
9. Cinch your waist in by adding a belt over your cardigan.
10. If you don’t want to wear tights, wear thigh-high socks under your high boots. It looks cute and will keep you warm.
11. Wear a fitted sweater over your dress, and pop the collar out. This is a cute and easy preppy look.
12. Wear your sleeveless summer shift dress over a button down shirt with tights. Add a belt to make the look less bulky.
13. If you want to look a little more professional, add a cropped blazer.
14. Layer with a hoodie, scarf, and ankle boots for a casual vibe that’s still really cute.
15. A super basic and easy way to wear your sundress in the winter is to add a long cardigan, a chunky knit scarf, tights and ankle boots.
16. Wear a sweater over your dress to make it look like a skirt, then add high boots and knee socks.
17. Patterned tights look so pretty with a dress and a cardigan. Add heels to look more dressed up.
18. You can even wear a strapless dress! Put it over tights and a button down shirt.
19. Layer socks over knit tights and add lots of texture with a lace blazer.
20. Adding a fur vest will keep you a little extra warm. Put it over another layer for added warmth.
Which of these outfits is your favorite? How do you wear dresses in the winter? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.