It’s been pretty clear for a while now that the ’90s are coming back in the fashion world in a major way. First there were the crop tops, then the knee socks, then the overalls, then the Birkenstocks, and now, velvet. The other day when I was shopping, I saw a burgundy velvet dress that instantly brought back memories from my childhood. It was amazing!
Velvet is super soft and cozy, making it perfect for any winter outfit. It’s a little too heavy to be worn in the spring, and definitely too heavy for the summertime, so if you love this trend and want to get in on it, make sure to do it within the next few months. When it’s worn incorrectly, velvet can sometimes look childish or over-the-top feminine, but when styled the right way, it can just look amazing. I highly suggest purchasing at least one velvet item for this winter. Here are 20 style tips on how to wear velvet with outfit ideas to get you started:
1. Make a maxi skirt work for winter by pairing it with a cozy and comfy velvet blazer.
2. If you want to wear velvet but don’t want to overdo it, try velvet shoes, like these smoking flats.
3. Don’t be afraid to play around and mix textures. Soft velvet leggings make a great winter outfit when paired with a ribbed or knit sweater.
4. Velvet mini-skirts are so adorable. Wear yours with tights and a button-down for a fun play on professional attire.
5. Look for a very different and unique velvet piece, like this kimono. It’s beautiful!
6. A velvet blazer can go over anything from fancy dresses to t-shirts and jeans.
7. Get a pair of velvet shorts and wear them with tights and a cute sweater. The hat is a really adorable touch.
8. A velvet dress really stands out on it’s own, but you can add a statement necklace to be more fancy.
9. Go for velvet pants like these and pair them with a pretty top.
10. You can pair a long velvet cardigan with so many things. It looks really cute with shorts, tights and combat boots.
11. Pair a pretty velvet t-shirt with boyfriend jeans and heels for a seriously cool outfit.
12. Velvet heels are so pretty and be worn with a million different things.
13. Make a floral dress work for winter by wearing a buttoned up velvet cardigan or blazer over it.
14. This velvet crop top brings the texture to a whole new level. Pair it with a tight skirt for a sexy look, or with jeans and a cardigan.
15. Get seriously trendy and pair your velvet dress with thigh-high socks.
16. Velvet looks much more grunge when you add a long button-down and combat boots.
17. Make feminine velvet look more tough instantly with a leather jacket.
18. A maxi is a different way to wear velvet.
19. Wear a black velvet dress with a brown belt to make it a little more casual.
20. Velvet makes even a t-shirt look more chic and glam. Wear it with high-waist jeans.
Which of these outfit ideas is your favorite? How would you wear velvet? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.