Being single is a pretty wonderful thing because you get to spend a lot of time doing what you want and getting to know who you really are. For some reason, people think being single is a bad thing, especially when you’re a girl. I can’t tell you how many people have told me that I need to get a boyfriend, but I’m perfectly happy being single at this point in my life. I don’t understand why anyone thinks they have a say in other people’s life choices.
Even though singledom has it’s perks, it does have some downsides too. I love being single, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want a relationship ever or there aren’t struggles. I get lonely occasionally and look at my friends in their happy relationships with a little jealousy. Relationships can be nice if you’re ready for them! And I’m not. If you’re a single girl, you can definitely relate:
1. Your friends always try to set you up with a “friend of a friend.”
No, I’m not interested in meeting Brian, okay?
2. People, mostly relatives, try to tell you that you need to find someone.
True life: my grandfather told me I needed to get out there and find a man.
3. Or constantly ask why you don’t have a boyfriend or girlfriend.
Uhhh I dunno. Why are you so interested in my personal life?
4. You feel like a third wheel when you hang out with a couple.
Please stop being so cute around me.
5. Your friends in relationships always talk about their relationships.
Oh you got flowers? OMG, yes, please tell me about all the ~cute~ things your boyfriend does.
6. Or their problems with their significant other.
You’re fighting again? How fascinating.
7. Seeing PDA sometimes makes you feel really lonely.
Well, I’m depressed.
8. Or really, really grossed out.
Do you have to eat each other’s faces?
9. “You know you’d get a boyfriend if you…”
10. Your exes or past hookups think they can just slide back in out of nowhere.
I’m single, not desperate.
11. Guys are always like “How are you single?” and you’re all:
I know, I’m amazing right?
12. Your #MCM is always a celeb.
Because, well, you don’t have your own.
13. Some people ask if you’re a lesbian.
As if there were something wrong with it?
14. People tell you that you’ve been single for too long.
Wasn’t aware there was a timeline, tbh.
15. When your friends are out as couples and you’re at home watching Netflix:
It’s cool guys. I’ll just be here by myself.
16. Sometimes you just want someone around.
Because it can be nice on occasion.
17. But mostly, you get a little sick of hanging out with yourself all the time.
You’re completely amazing, but too much of a good thing can be bad.
Are you single? What are some single girl struggles you have? Tell us in the comments below!
You can reach this post’s author, Caitlin Corsetti, on Twitter and Instagram!