There are scarves, and then there are blanket scarves. Blanket scarves are a giant version of a scarf that are so big they could even be used as, you guessed it, a blanket. They’re warm, cozy, comfortable, and wonderful, and they just might be my favorite trend of the fall and winter season this year. I own a bunch of them, and I love using them as scarves, makeshift ponchos or capes, shawls, and yes, even a blanket.
But despite how versatile they are, blanket scarves can be hard to figure out. There’s so much fabric that it’s easy to look at it and go, “how the eff do I wrap this around my neck?” If you want to embrace the coziest trend of the season, we’ve got you covered! Here are 20 style tips on how to wear blanket scarves with awesome outfit ideas.
1. Here’s a super basic way to tie your blanket scarf around your neck:
2. If you want to make your scarf look less huge, follow this little tutorial:
3. Own your huge scarf and wear it looped around your neck. Add glam accessories like a fur vest, heels and big sunglasses to look more dressed up.
4. Wear your blanket scarf as a cape, then drape it over one shoulder to look super chic.
5. Simply put your blanket scarf around your neck, leave the ends hanging down, and then belt it. It almost looks like you’re wearing a sweater or a vest.
6. My favorite tip from here is the second: tie the ends of your blanket scarf together to create a makeshift infinity scarf.
7. Wear your blanket scarf as a coat when it’s not that cold by loosely draping it over your shoulders, then belting it so it stays in place. With tall boots, you’ll stay warm and cozy.
8. Tie your scarf over one shoulder to give off an easygoing vibe.
9. You can also always just leave it hanging down casually.
10. Drape it over your shoulders, then tie the ends at the front of your neck so your scarf turns into a cape.
11. Get creative with some DIY! Add a faux fur collar to your scarf to really make it look like a coat or cape.
12. Fold your scarf around your neck into a shawl.
13. If you have too much fabric left over after looping it around your neck like you would a normal sized scarf, just tie the ends like so.
14. Give off a seriously glam vibe by wrapping your scarf around you like so:
15. Here’s another fun tutorial on how to tie your blanket scarf:
16. Simply loop it around your neck a few times, leaving with you with a huge scarf. This looks so cute with a sweatshirt and rain boots.
17. Simply drape your blanket scarf around your shoulders. It takes two seconds and makes it look like a chic cape. Also, you then have the freedom to wrap it around you like a blanket.
18. If your scarf is huge and you want to get rid of some of the extra fabric, braid it like this:
19. Want to get rid of the ends after you loop it? Just tuck them in.
20. I love this look! Wrap your scarf around you like a blanket, then cinch it together with a belt so it looks like a poncho.
Which of these outfit ideas was your favorite? How do you wear your blanket scarf? What kind of style tips do you want to see next? Tell me in the comments.