Clueless is without a doubt my favorite ’90s teen movie of all time. I’ve watched it more times than I can count, but it literally never gets old. I know exactly what happens, but it still makes me laugh. I dressed up as Cher for Halloween last year, and it’s probably my favorite costume I’ve ever worn. I just don’t have anything bad to say about Clueless – it’s a total gem!
But even as a total Clueless fan, I didn’t know all of the trivia about the movie… until now. Now I know basically everything and I am the Clueless Queen. Every ’90s fan will love learning more about one of the most iconic movies of that time, so read on for these 21 crazy, interesting facts you never knew about Clueless.
1. Alicia Silverstone got the role of Cher thanks to her appearance in an Aerosmith music video.
She didn’t have to audition – director Amy Heckerling saw her in an Aerosmith video, and knew she was right for the role.
2. Reese Witherspoon and Sarah Michelle Gellar almost played Cher.
Sarah Michelle Gellar turned down the role for a role in All My Children.
3. It was originally pitched as TV show called No Worries.
Fox wanted a show about teenagers, but not about “the nerds.”
4. Clueless is based on the Jane Austen novel Emma.
Once it became a movie, Amy Heckerling remembered reading Emma, and based the plot, characters, themes and values off of the novel.
5. Many things in the movie are very close to the Emma plot.
Cher is Emma, Josh is Mr. Knightley, Tai is Harriet Smith, Elton is Mr. Elton, Travis is Robert Martin, Chistian is a version of Frank Churchill, and Dionne might be Mrs. Weston.
6. There are multiple references to Christian’s sexuality throughout the film. One is that when Cher first sees him in the doorway, the newspaper headline seen over his shoulder says “On The Road To Nowhere.”
7. Clue number 2 that Christian was gay: When Christian calls Cher from a museum, the painting behind him feature two men in a passionate embrace.
8. Clue number 3: Cher and Christian watch two films together – Some Like It Hot and Spartacus. The first movie features cross-dressing men and the second has a famous scene where a Roman master tries to seduce his male servant.
9. Clue number 4: The book Christian is reading during class is called Junky by William S. Burroughs, who has strong homosexual desires.
10. Brittany Murphy literally was a virgin who couldn’t drive.
She has said, “It’s hard for me to believe it’s been 10 years since that movie. I really was a virgin who couldn’t drive. I was living in an apartment in the Valley with my mom – and I remember starting to see those huge billboards of us all over town. It was amazing!”
11. There were 53 different kinds of plaid used during the movie.
Cher wore seven different kinds.
12. A promotional item for the film included a booklet called How To Speak Cluelessly
It was a lexicon of the terms used in the movie. I NEED THAT BOOKLET.
13. Before landing his role as Josh, Paul Rudd auditioned to play Murray, Christian and Elton.
14. Zooey Deschanel auditioned for the roles of Cher and Amber.
15. Owen Wilson and Seth Green auditioned for the role of Travis.
16. Lauryn Hill auditioned for the role of Dionne.
17. Jeremy Renner auditioned for the roles of Christian and Josh.
18. Terrence Howard auditioned for the role of Murray.
19. The movie really is authentic – director and writers sat in on real Beverly Hills High classes to get a feel for the students.
20. Stacey Dash, who played Dionne, was actually three years older than Paul Rudd in real life, even though he played a character who was older than Dionne.
21. Alicia Silverstone really didn’t know how to say “Haitians.” Amy Heckerling didn’t let anyone correct her because she liked it so much.
Which of these facts did you find the most interesting? What’s your favorite part of Clueless? What did I forget to include? Tell me in the comments!