When I heard that turtlenecks were coming back into style this fall and winter, I couldn’t even pretend to be surprised. So many ’90s clothing staples came back lately (crop tops, high-waisted jeans, even bucket hats) that I was just waiting for turtlenecks to make it through. And although I wasn’t disappointed, I was a little skeptical. Turtlenecks can be very hit-or-miss. When they’re bad, they’re SO bad. When they’re good, they’re pretty awesome.
Ashley, one of our writers, has been rocking some colorful turtlenecks lately, and it’s kind of making me want to try them for myself. While I can’t deal with something tight around my neck, I do like loose, sort of floppy turtlenecks in the form of cozy sweaters. Want to look totally on-trend and also totally ’90s at the same time? Here are 20 style tips on how to wear turtlenecks, with outfit ideas by style bloggers.
1. Make your summer dress work for the colder weather by layering a slim turtleneck underneath.
2. Pair an over-sized knit turtleneck with skinny jeans and sneakers for a super casual and comfy look.
3. Go for a turtleneck poncho, which is a perfect cold-weather staple. Pairing it with leggings and knee-high boots is so cute.
4. Make your turtleneck more fancy by wearing it was a pretty skirt, tights, and heeled booties.
5. A leather jacket toughens up a turtleneck in the best way possible.
6. A long-sleeved crop top looks great with a maxi skirt. Add boots to stay warm.
7. A turtleneck sweater dress is a fun and different play on the style. Over-the-knee boots add some sex appeal.
8. Layer with an oversized scarf and a beanie, and ankle boots for the cutest fall look ever.
9. Make the crop top and skirt combo work for fall and winter by choosing long-sleeves and a skirt in muted colors.
10. White jeans look so glam in the winter when paired with a camel colored turtleneck sweater.
11. Layer a short-sleeved turtleneck over a long-sleeved shirt for an unexpected twist.
12. Sometimes all you need is a fitted turtleneck sweater, skinny jeans and boots. So cute and simple!
13. A cropped turtleneck looks chic with high-waisted jeans and a cardigan. Add a beret for Parisian flair.
14. Loose printed pants pair so nicely with a slim-fit turtleneck.
15. Make a maxi skirt work for fall and winter by wearing it with a turtleneck and a denim jacket.
16. A striped turtleneck looks perfect with a skater skirt.
17. Wear your turtleneck with a statement necklace and feminine skirt for some nice contrast.
18. Tuck your turtleneck into a glam A-line skirt and add a statement necklace for a beautiful outfit.
19. A blazer makes a turtleneck look instantly more professional.
20. For a super casual look, add leggings and a vest. Perfect!
Which of these outfits is your favorite? How would you wear a turtleneck? What kind of style tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.