Ah, I still remember when I was a naive young girl who believed that makeup brushes didn’t matter. I used the cheap black spongey eye-shadow brushes that came with my mini palettes, spread my foundation and concealer on my face with my fingers, and had no idea what a blending brush was. The idea of using a different brush for my bronzer and blush never occurred to me. And cleaning them? Forget about it.
Thankfully, things are different now. Each of my beauty products has their own makeup brush, and I try to clean them once a week (the operative word being “try” here). I love going to Sephora and staring at the rows of expensive, unbelievably soft brushes… and then purchasing the cheaper options from Target (the Sonia Kashuk ones are awesome!). I especially love getting a brand new brush and using it for the first time. Makeup brushes are a wonderful thing for a beauty addict.
But, as you can see, makeup brushes also require a little bit of learning. You could spend $30 on a makeup brush cleanser – or you could make your own. You could use the same old eye shadow brush you’ve been using for months – or you could try something different. You could keep using a pencil to put your eyeliner on, or you could make it look more natural with a brush. The list goes on! Here are 20 tips and tricks on how to clean and use your makeup brushes:
1. Not sure which brush to use for which product? Use this handy guide to figure it out:
2. Makeup brushes can be expensive. Here are some amazing ones that are also very affordable:
3. Picking the right foundation brush can be tricky. Here’s how to find one that works for you:
4. Bend a spooly brush like so to easily use it on your brows:
5. Check out this guide on how to correctly use some popular makeup brushes:
6. There are TONS of brushes out there to buy. Here’s a guide on what’s good for your face:
7. Find out when you should throw away your brush or makeup sponge:
8. This comprehensive guide to eye brushes will show you exactly which brush to use for what around your eyes:
9. Here’s a little bit more info on eye shadow brushes:
10. You can use a brush to apply eyeliner for a more natural or precise look. Here’s your guide on how to do it:
11. A makeup sponge is an excellent way to apply foundation for a truly flawless finish. Here’s how to do it the right way:
12. Here is how to use your brow brush like a total pro:
13. Instead of spending money on makeup brush cleaner, you can make your own with ingredients you probably already have:
14. Here’s how to properly clean your makeup sponge so it doesn’t get icky:
15. Here’s another DIY recipe for makeup cleaner:
16. Here’s how to use professional cleaner, OR you can simply use baby shampoo:
17. A Clarisonic isn’t a makeup brush, but it still needs to be cleaned! In fact, if you don’t clean it regularly, it could actually give you more breakouts. Here’s how to do it:
18. Sigma sells a brush cleaning glove you can get if you want a really deep cleansing. Here’s how to use it:
19. Check out the do’s and don’ts of keeping your brushes clean:
20. Sometimes your brushes will get super stiff. Here’s how to make them soft and fluffy again:
Which of these tips did you find the most helpful? What kind of makeup brushes do you use? What beauty tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!