For a long time, I was really intimidated by red lipstick (to be honest, I still sort of am). To me, red lipstick is the epitome of glamour – and as a young woman who didn’t take a lot of beauty risks, I assumed it was best left to celebrities on the red carpet. I’ve never been a big fan of my lips (I wish they weren’t so small), so I’ve never really wanted to play them up. I always thought that red lipstick would make my small lips look even smaller, and that I could never pull it off.
And then I started working in New York City, where very few women are scared of a red lip. I work with so many women who manage to pull off gorgeous shades of red lipstick no matter what they’re wearing. After years of lip-envy, I decided to do something about it. One day, after a particularly brutal Brazilian wax session, I went into Ulta and, on a whim, bought my first red lipstick. It is Urban Decay’s F-Bomb, and it packs a lot of color into one very cute applicator.
When I went home and tried on F-Bomb, my first thought was, “How am I going to get the guts to wear this in public?” F-Bomb is a gorgeous hue, but it’s pretty bold. It was a big leap for someone who had always been scared of a red lip. But one day, I wore it to work… where, instead of getting made fun of, I got tons of compliments. I now wear F-Bomb all the time, and I even have other red lipsticks that I love!
All that being said, wearing red lipstick can definitely be tricky. There are just some things you need to know before you start pulling it off. Here are 15 red lipstick tips and tricks for every girl who wants to wear it:
1. First, make sure you choose the right red for your skin color. That makes a big difference!
2. These real girls show you what they like best to give you a better idea:
3. This simple, general guide is also really good to keep handy.
4. Know exactly what look you’re going for? Check out this easy guide:
5. Here’s another guide to picking the perfect red for you based on exactly what you’re looking for:
6. Know these basic tips. Putting your finger in your mouth is an excellent way to ensure the lipstick doesn’t get on your teeth.
7. Always exfoliate your lips, and make sure you reapply every once in a while for the best color.
8. Always use a pencil and concealer around the edges to prevent bleeding.
9. Make your lipstick last by using powder at the end.
10. When wearing a deep color, make it last by using a similar color eye shadow.
11. Another thing to keep in mind when wearing deep reds: keep the rest of your makeup simple and basic. Otherwise, you’ll look too overdone.
12. Want something more shiny? Instead of buying more gloss, layer your favorite lipstick with clear gloss.
13. Want to stand out in a crowd with flirty lips? Add some sparkle.
14. Putting gloss in just the center of your lips may make them look larger.
15. Go bold with this ombre lip color. Not for the faint of heart!
Which of these tips is your favorite? What is your favorite red lipstick? What kind of beauty tricks do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!