Every time I write about natural hair, I receive a comment or two from young women who are thinking about going natural or who want to do the big chop (cutting off all of their chemically straightened hair). I say, go for it! It’s a great way to familiarize yourself with your roots…literally, the roots of your hair and the amazing texture that it sprouts. But it’s easy to get discouraged from taking that leap when the natural hair community has such a strong fixation with long natural hair.
Listen, length isn’t the only thing that makes natural hair beautiful, okay? Not everyone can or wants to have long hair, and that’s okay. But it’s hard to feel a sense of pride about your short hair when all of the most popular natural hair bloggers and vloggers have very long, thick hair. Finding hair tutorials and cute style options when you don’t have natural hair reaching your shoulders shouldn’t be a hassle. Instead of trying to find the secret to hair growth, embrace your short, natural hair and find fun ways to rock it with these 15 hairstyles for short natural hair. You won’t be disappointed!
1) Embrace headgear like hats and bandanas for an effortless look. This is especially handy if you’re in a rush!
2) Create a side part side part by parting freshly washed hair, applying some firm hold gel and clipping the hair on each side of the part. Blow dry until the part holds. Easy peasy!
3) Rock some twists on one side or both sides of your head and leave the rest of your hair loose or coiled.
4) Use a brightly colored head wrap to add a lil somethin’ to your little curls. Sometimes, less is more.
5) Cover your head in bantu knots! Consider going to a professional stylist to get it done if you want to make sure that each knot is even. As you can see, this isn’t just a way to get a great twist out overnight; it’s a fun, edgy look that looks great when you wear it out, too!
6) Or try some chunkier bantu knots for a more carefree protective style.
7) Dye it! If you really want to livin up your curls, this is the way to go. Whether you go auburn or pastel pink, this is arguably the most fun way to rock a teenie weenie fro.
8) Try a French roll if your hair is in a weird space between short and medium length.
9) Get a mohawk! Make sure you’re willing to commit to having the sides shaved off, of course, before you rock this guaranteed badass hairstyle.
10) Get the coiled look by curling your hair with rollers without combing it out. After you’re over that look, feel free to comb it out a day or two later. This is a great way to prevent your freshly washed hair from getting worn out and tired too quickly.
11) Get an asymmetrical look and blow everyone away. Seriously, how rad is this idea? All you need is some good hair gel and a heaping helping of confidence and you’re good to go.
12) A high top hairstyle is a fun, stylish throwback to the ’80s and ’90s. It’s also a great, safe alternative to an ultra edgy asymmetrical look or a mohawk.
14) Accessorize with metal headbands and chains, from chunky chain mail to more delicate looking accent pieces.
15) Just get a buzz cut and wear your hair ultra short. This is a brave move but it can look absolutely stunning! I mean, you’ve seen Lupita, right?
15) Accessorize outside of your scalp! Earrings, statement necklaces and other accessories can play nicely against a very short cut. Take advantage of the fact that your hair isn’t going to hide anything!
Do you have very short natural hair? How do you like to style you hair? Are you thinking about going natural or getting the big chop? Tell us in the comments!