This time last year, sock buns were incredibly popular. Just walking down a humid New York City street guaranteed that I would see at least two girls rocking a high, tight, perfectly-in-place sock bun (myself included). This summer, while I still see sock buns every once in a while, they definitely aren’t as popular as they once were. I’m seeing a lot more slightly messier styles, and a ton of braided buns.
Although I loved how simple sock buns were, I’m a fan of buns of any kind (hehe), so I love any trend out there. Also, I was getting a little tired of sock buns. They’re so polished and perfect. I like something a little bit more rumpled and effortless, especially in the summer, which is also the perfect time to wear a bun. Buns keep your hair out of your face, off your sweaty neck, and you don’t have to worry about humidity frizzing everything up.
Pinterest has so many amazing hair tutorials that it would be silly not to take advantage of the wealth of information there. So, I put together a list of some of the cutest bun style ideas that will take your boring hairstyle and make it super fun. Here are 15 pretty, unique and easy bun style ideas you need to try.
1. Use hairspray for a textured, high bun that would look cute dressed up or down.
2. Twist naturally curly hair into a low bun for a slightly messy look.
3. Girls with short locks can still put their hair in a bun! Try this cute braided version.
4. A low bun is a low-maintenance, casual style that will look good anywhere.
5. Get inspired by one of Lady Gaga’s old looks, and try a bow bun. It’s easier than it looks!
6. A two-braid low bun is elegant enough for something more fancy, but still casual enough for a regular day.
7. Braided buns are the best. Put a new spin on yours by doing a fishtail.
8. Messy buns make it seem like you look good without trying at all. This one is a little different, but easy.
9. I’ve found that when it comes to braided buns, two braids are better than one!
10. Or, you can do two braids a slightly different way for a larger, more relaxed bun.
11. And here is yet another way to style two braids into an updo:
12. Loop a side braid into a low bun for a boho chic look.
13. This simple criss-cross action makes a low bun instantly updated.
14. A back braid going into a bun looks really difficult, but it’s actually not that hard!
15. All of these twists may be time-consuming, but this is perfect for a day where your hair is guaranteed to get frizzy.
Which of these bun hairstyle ideas is your favorite? Which have you tried already? What kind of hairstyles do you want to see? Tell me in the comments.