The smokey eye just may be the sexiest eye makeup look I can think of. It’s nice to have neat, perfectly applied eye shadow, but there is something to be said for that smudgey look you get from a good smokey eye. When it’s done right, it can make you look like you’ve been out having all kinds of exciting adventures – and who doesn’t want to look like that? Sometimes, messy is just better (same principle applies to beach waves).
I remember when I first mastered the smokey eye. It happened when I bought a Maybelline palette containing three shades of blue shadow, along with one white one. The palette explained exactly where to apply the different colors. After years of sporting a blue smokey eye (embarrassing), I learned that I could apply these basics to any color. I do a variation of the smokey eye look almost every single day. Once you get it down, it’s easy!
But the smokey eye can be a little intimidating if you’ve never done it. I get it. I was scared of black shadow at first, too (hence why I used blue for so long). That’s why these tutorials are so helpful. Here are 16 smokey eye hacks, tips and tricks you need to know to get the sexiest makeup look ever.
1. Here is a basic smokey eye tutorial you can apply to any color scheme:
2. You can also use this simple diagram for any color scheme on how to create a smokey look:
3. Or, simply draw these lines and blend for an easy, smudged look.
4. Learn the best ways to apply eye shadow for your eye type.
5. These are the four types of brushes you’ll need for perfect application:
6. Don’t forget to smudge liner under your eye as well. That gives you a very dramatic look that’s great for nighttime.
7. A secret tip that can change your look? Use a clean brush to blend instead of one with shadow on it.
8. Create a winged shadow look to make your smokey eye more intense.
9. This illustration of smokey eye basics is definitely worth reading:
10. You don’t have to stick to a black smokey eye. You can also do gold:
11. Or metallic…
12. …Or something colorful…
13. …Or something more natural and daytime appropriate.
14. You can also create a smokey eye using only eyeliner.
15. …Or only a kohl pencil.
16. You can pick products based on your skin tone.
Which of these tips did you find the most helpful? Are you a fan of the smokey eye? How do you do yours? What kind of beauty tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!