Good news for those of you who are harassed by random dudes to offer up your phone number! There’s a new texting service called Feminist Phone Intervention and here’s how it works: You tell some pesky dude that your phone number is 669-221-6251 and when he tries to hit you up he’ll get a quote from legendary feminist bell hooks in response. Rad, right? There are even other numbers for different countries and time-zones!
It would be so much easier if we could just come up with super snappy feminist theory to shoot back at people at random. Alas, most of us don’t have those abilities. If any of you are anything like me, then you’ll know how hard it is to come up with any snappy comeback, let alone a feminist one. That’s why it’s fun to get inspiration from some of these 10 awesome rejection lines from our favorite characters in TV and movies.
1) This creative one from our girl Effy from Skins. This…makes a lot more sense in context.
2) The most ’90s thing that was ever uttered in the ’90s.
3) Sarcastic rejection from Daria.
4) This direct approach from Cher Horowitz
5) The always charming Hilary Banks from Fresh Prince was definitely direct about her intentions. Goals.
6) Pulling the classy card from The Parent Trap.
7) Just in case a guy is trying to hit on you and insult your intelligence at the same time…
8) A quote from Sandy in Grease…perhaps best used when you’re feeling rejected yourself.
9) In case some jock type wants to put the moves on you…
10) This classic from Sister Sister. Definitely works against any and all Rogers.
And, of course, if all else fails there’s always a big ol’ “no.”
What other rejection quotes stand out for you? Have you ever managed to master a snappy rejection in real life? Tell us about it in the comments!