Breakups are not only heartbreaking… they’re also really, really awkward. Trying to gracefully handle the fallout of a breakup is one of the things that makes them so tough to deal with. When you’ve dumped someone, or been dumped, you don’t know how to act around them anymore. And that can lead to some really uncomfortable situations.
I’m already an awkward person on my own, so add a breakup into the mix, and you’ve got some moments that are actually sitcom-worthy. I know all about awkward breakup moments, guys. I’m not even ashamed to say it. And I’m sure you all are too. Let’s face it – no matter how confident and calm you are, we’ll all experience these things at least once in our lives. Here are 15 of the most awkward breakup moments ever. We can all cringe together, now.
1. When you run into your ex after not talking for a while, and neither of you know what to do.
You’re sad, you’re angry, you’re confused… ugh.
2. Even worse, when you run into your ex with someone new.
This is actually equal parts devastating and awkward.
3. If you say something horrible about your ex to a mutual friend.
And they’re just like, “Uh…..” and then you feel stupid.
4. Just having mutual friends in general is awkward – who gets to hang out with them?
Should you talk about it? Should you guys split up your friends? What are you supposed to do?
5. When someone who doesn’t know about the breakup says, “Oh, how is so-and-so?!” and you have to tell them it’s over.
6. When people you don’t know very well ask why things ended, and you get uncomfortable trying to explain that you don’t want to talk about it.
Have some tact!
7. When you see him in public and try to play it cool, but end up crying in front of everyone.
Yeah. It happens to the best of us.
8. When you run into his family members and have no idea how to act around them anymore.
Should you ignore them or be friendly?
9. If you guys still have classes together where you sit near each other.
But you REALLY don’t want to see his face.
10. When your friends forget that they’re not supposed to speak of your ex and they accidentally say his name.
11. When you run into your ex somewhere and unsuccessfully try to avoid him.
And he totally catches you.
12. If he puts something up about the breakup on social media.
Especially if it’s something sappy.
13. When you run into his friends, who used to sort of be your friends too.
Because of him, of course. Do they hate you now?
14. Even worse, when one of your exes friends starts hitting on you.
15. When you go on a date, and you see him.
This always happens when you’re JUST starting to move on.
Which of these awkward breakup moments have you dealt with? What did I forget? Tell me in the comments!