I love my friends dearly. Really, I do. But even some of my closest friends have said some seriously stupid, ignorant things about black hair. I know, I know, they mean well. They’re just confused about some things, curious about others. But that doesn’t mean I’m not going to roll my eyes whenever someone comments on how “poofy” my hair is after it gets wet.
Listen, summer is coming up and all my fellow black girls know that that means it’s an important time for our hair; whether it’s rocking braids or worrying about getting our straight hair wet from pool water. So for those of you who have a black girl friend and don’t want to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, here are 10 things you should never say to black girls about their hair. We’re happy to answer questions you have about it, but don’t get too wack, you know?
1) “Haha, your hair feels like pubes.”
Never. Say. This. Ever. Don’t pull a Cameron Diaz.
2) Re: Any new hairstyle: “OMG so is that a weave?”
Not everything is a weave. Why are people so obsessed with wondering if something is a damn weave or real or fake or whatever. Relax.
3) “LOL that color looks so ghetto/hoodrat.”
Right, so would you say that to someone else with this same hair color if they weren’t black? Or would their hair look “alt” and “edgy” and “cool” instead? Things that make you go hmmmm.
4) “Did you get a hair cut?”
Okay, to be fair, our hair does experience shrinkage in its natural state. One day it looks longer, the next, the curls can shrink and our hair can look shorter. But when I’m asked every other week whether or not I got a massive hair cut I want to claw my face out. No. I didn’t get a damn hair cut.
5) “I’m going to get your hair wet/splash you! Haha!”
Yeah, I don’t think so.
6) “So, like, if you can’t get your hair wet…how do you shower?” Have you ever heard of a little thing called a shower cap?
7) “Why don’t you straighten your hair again? It looks so much better that way!”
Uh, because I don’t want to. I made the decision not to straighten my hair so how about you just respect that?
8) “Why are you straightening your hair? Do you hate yourself or something? Are you trying to look white? Why aren’t you proud of your natural hair?”
You know, some black women just like the way their hair looks when it is straightened. They don’t necessarily wish they were a different race with a different hair texture because of it.
9) “I have Hermione hair so I totally know how you feel!”
No, you don’t. But nice try.
And, of course…
10) “Your hair looks so poofy!”
What other annoying things have you heard people say about black hair? How will you plan to rock your hair this summer? Tell us in the comments!