You know how a lot of people complain about spending time with their family? They dislike family events, dread holidays, and just generally don’t like being around their relatives. Well, I am so not one of those people. I love my family – and I don’t just mean my immediate family, but my extended family also. In fact, some of my cousins are also some of my best friends.
I grew up in a very large Italian family, so I have more cousins than I could ever count (mainly because I don’t know all of them). I’m so fortunate to say that I’ve enjoyed a really happy family life, and my cousins and I are all super close. I grew up looking forward to regular family BBQs, sleepovers with my closest cousins where we barely slept because we were too busy playing Cops and Robbers, twice-yearly family vacations that included at least 30 relatives, and amazing beach days together. Now that we’re older, my cousins and I don’t get to see each other as much, but that doesn’t make us any less close. I don’t know where I would be without them!
It took me a long time to realize that not everyone is lucky enough to have their cousins also act as some of their closest friends. A lot of my friends are surprised that I’m so close with my cousins, and they don’t exactly understand the special bond we have. So, for all of you who are in my position, here are 15 things you’ll only understand if you’re best friends with your cousins.
1. Even when you guys are too busy to make plans, you know you’ll see them soon somewhere.
You don’t really have to worry about growing apart…
2. …Because even if you’ve gone months without seeing each other, it feels like no time has passed when you do.
It’s just that special cousin bond.
3. You never have to worry about feeling awkward in their house.
Because they are literally your family.
4. You get confused when friends complain about going to family events. You love them!
Family events = cousin time. The best time!
5. And family vacations are even better.
Your cousins make every place automatically awesome.
6. Your parents probably trust you more with them than your “regular” friends, because you’re all family.
This means getting a later curfew when you’re with them, or getting to do other stuff you normally wouldn’t be allowed to do.
7. You guys get into stupid fights like siblings, but everything always ends up okay.
Because, like siblings, you know you’re stuck together for life.
8. Sad family things, like funerals, become easier to deal with because you have a support system who understands exactly what you’re going through.
You guys have to experience these awful things together, which bonds you in a really intimate way.
9. They are the only ones who understand the crazy things that happen with your relatives, and you know they won’t judge you for it.
Because they’re dealing with it too!
10. Also, they’ll fill you in on all the juicy family drama your parents won’t tell you about.
And you’ll do the same for them.
11. Even when things are bad with your “regular” friends, you know you have your cousins to fall back on.
Which is a really nice feeling.
12. If they live far away, you have automatic vacation homes to stay in when you need to get away!
This means you don’t have to pay for a hotel. Yay!
13. Since they’ve most likely known you since you guys were babies, they know you better than almost anyone.
You don’t always have to explain yourself, because they already sort of get it.
14. If you don’t have siblings, or you’re not close with them, cousins are the next best thing.
And you don’t have to live with them, which can sometimes make your relationship better than the one you have with siblings.
15. The most special thing about your bond? There is a sense of loyalty there that you don’t feel with just anyone.
That loyalty comes from the fact that you’re actually family. Oh, and all of those hilarious inside jokes and embarrassing stories you share.
Are you best friends with any of your cousins? What is your favorite thing about being close with family members? What did I forget? Tell me in the comments.