When you think of a kimono, the first image that pops into your mind probably isn’t a long, sheer, cardigan-type piece of clothing. When I first heard that kimono jackets were a big trend for spring and summer, I was a little confused myself, because I immediately imagined the traditional Japanese garment and I was concerned for the fashion world.
But the kimono jackets that you’ve been seeing everywhere are really nothing like a Japanese kimono. While I can’t say that I can always see why they got this name, I can say that I love them. Kimono jackets or cardigans (or whatever you want to call them) are amazing. They’re perfect for warmer weather because they’re light and airy, but still cover you up if you’re chilly or you just want something on your shoulders. They come in all sorts of beautiful patterns, and they can be worn with absolutely everything. I have a long one with fringe that has an elephant pattern, and it’s one of my favorite spring items.
Want to incorporate these into your wardrobe? You definitely should! Here are 20 style tips on how to wear kimono jackets and look fabulous:
1. Make a skirt and tank combo more interesting by adding a colorful kimono.
2. Pair your kimono with a romper for a casual, but chic look.
3. Your kimono can easily double as a bathing suit coverup! Wear it at the beach if you’re chilly.
4. Wear your kimono with wide-leg or flare jeans for a seriously boho look with a ’70s vibe.
5. A white tee with jean shorts is kind of boring… make the outfit more fun by adding a patterned kimono. Instant update!
6. Wear your kimono with any summer dress. It’s so easy and chic.
7. Break up an all black ensemble by adding a patterned kimono. Long ones are also perfect with leggings.
8. Or, break up an all white ensemble with a colorful kimono. It allows you to try a monochromatic look in the easiest way.
9. Throw a kimono on over a graphic tee and jeans for a fun, casual outfit.
10. Pair a super long kimono with shorts and heels so it doesn’t overpower you.
11. In chillier weather, like during the fall, pair your kimono with jeans and booties.
12. Another cooler weather look with a kimono is to belt it over jeans and pair it with tall boots. So glam!
13. Make a tight, short dress more casual and daytime-friendly by adding a loose, long kimono.
14. Loosely tie your kimono in front for a unique look.
15. Pair a long kimono with a maxi dress for a very boho-chic outfit.
16. A kimono looks so casual and cute with cropped boyfriend jeans and a hat like this one.
17. A lot of kimonos have a pattern, but don’t feel like you can only wear it with solids. Don’t be afraid to mix your kimono with different patterns!
18. Bralettes show off a lot of skin – pairing it with a kimono gives a nice balance.
19. Belt your kimono over a dress for a different silhouette.
20. A foolproof way to wear a kimono? Over a crop top and high-waist shorts. Cute every time!