You know how magazine quizzes are always asking questions like, “If you could only bring one type of makeup on a deserted island, what would you bring?” Well, my answer to that is a tie between mascara and eyeliner. I love eyeliner. I very rarely go a day without wearing eyeliner, and when I do, I feel naked.
My eyeliner of choice is Urban Decay’s 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero (the darkest black). I’ve been using this for so long that I feel very confident with it, but if you’re not as experienced, applying eyeliner can be a little tricky sometimes. Even if you’re basically like a pro, there are some tips that can really make you step up your makeup game. Here are 16 eyeliner hacks, tips, and tricks that you need to check out right now:
1. Pull the area around your eye when applying eyeliner so that no skin peeks through.
2. To make your lower liner stay in place without smudging, apply pressed powder directly underneath with a small brush. This has the added bonus of highlighting the area.
3. If you don’t want thick liner, learn how to tightline. It looks subtle but still makes your eyes stand out.
4. Curl your lashes and apply eyeliner all in one by drawing the pencil on the curler.
5. Model your eyeliner after these fashion designer styles.
6. Learn how to perfectly smudge your liner to get it a slightly lived-in look without being messy.
7. Make your waterline liner last longer by also using black eye shadow.
8. In a pinch, learn how to use your eyeliner as eye shadow.
9. Use this guide to figure out which brush is best for what kind of liner you want.
10. Quickly heat your liner under a flame to make it easier to apply – this will give it a smudged look.
11. Go for a black, white, or nude waterline liner depending on what look you want to go for. White and nude typically make your eyes look larger.
12. Learn all of the things you can do with white eyeliner. It’s a great highlighting tool to really open up your eyes.
13. Figure out which liner style looks best with your eye shape.
14. How you apply your eyeliner can really change how your eyes look. Learn which lines do what here:
15. Read these tips to really make your eyes pop using eyeliner.
16. Learn more about how to use your eyeliner to change how your eyes look.
Which of these tips was your favorite? What kind of eyeliner do you use? What kind of makeup tips do you want to see? Tell me in the comments!